Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12" Stella lyra Newtonian

Will be starting imaging again soon. Not sure if anyone will know some of the questions but here goes. I've attached 12" tube rings to the losmandy plate that came with the 8" Stella Lyra Classical Cassegrain.

Ive attached 4 bolts ( allen key heads ) quite tight. And a fair way into the rings. Two bolts either side. Am I right in thinking this will be strong enough to hold the 20 kgs of the 12" Stella lyra Newt ? any opinions on this ? The mirror cell. Is it advisable to take out the mirror cell. to check how tight the 3 primary clips are  ? Has anyone seen pinching from the factory setup here ? The springs, does anyone have a link for more suitable collimation springs to help hold the beast in tighter collimation at all ?

Ive not really studied the cell properly yet. is there anything I need to know about changing the springs. Or anything else ? Cheers for any help guys. Some may have noticed my absence the last few months. I lost my beautiful partner of 31 years Kathy. on the 29th Dec 2022. So of course I have had my thoughts focused firmly on that. Nothing changes in that regard. Accept. I purchased the mount and scope before the tragic lose. And I feel the usage back into what I loved doing might help in some way focus my mind. In a more positive way. 

Thanks for any advice on the questions 

DSC01038.JPG

DSC01059.JPG

Edited by neil phillips

Whilst I’m not able to help with the scope questions…..I’ll just comment on your sad loss.

That’s because I share your pain having lost my dear wife Ann 6 years ago.  I know how hard this is to cope with.  We’re all different in the way we go forward after we go through deep pain.  But one thing I can say is if you can fill the void as best you’re able, to build a new life.

We have to accept that life will never be the same. But that doesn’t mean we cannot go forward building a new life. Your request for help with your astronomy kit does mean that you are picking up the pieces and attempting to go forward.  Your journey will be different to mine, but I wish you well and hope that eventually the pain will lessen as it has for me.

One further piece of advice if I may. Best not to make any big changes for a while, like moving or finding new love. Give it time, you’re still in shock even if you don’t realise that.

Take care, and all good wishes, Ed.

11 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Whilst I’m not able to help with the scope questions…..I’ll just comment on your sad loss.

That’s because I share your pain having lost my dear wife Ann 6 years ago.  I know how hard this is to cope with.  We’re all different in the way we go forward after we go through deep pain.  But one thing I can say is if you can fill the void as best you’re able, to build a new life.

We have to accept that life will never be the same. But that doesn’t mean we cannot go forward building a new life. Your request for help with your astronomy kit does mean that you are picking up the pieces and attempting to go forward.  Your journey will be different to mine, but I wish you well and hope that eventually the pain will lessen as it has for me.

One further piece of advice if I may. Best not to make any big changes for a while, like moving or finding new love. Give it time, you’re still in shock even if you don’t realise that.

Take care, and all good wishes, Ed.

Many thanks Ed. Much appreciate the considered kind words. Having gone through something similar I know, You know how horrendous it is. The story behind my loss is one of the most traumatic ways it could have happened I wont go into details. But big mistakes were made. So doubly hard to except. But I hear your wise words. Based on experience. And I know things will never be the same. I am slowly learning to accept that. Its taken me 2.5 months to be able to start talking on here again. My home from home. So I must be making progress. I told a few astro friends on the side lines. But was in two minds if to say anything on the forum. As its so very private. And difficult. But any open questions from anyone on here 

Hi Neil where have you been, and some such. I might as well get that awkward conversation out in the open.. I wont get any confusion as to why i have been absent. and forced to explain per se. Explaining on my terms, rather than some random innocent but awkward questions. seems a better approach. All I have left, is what I had before. But without the biggest part of my life by my side. So will go along with that for some time. And see what life brings. But yeah I am devastated. Really no words can portray the horror of what happened over two days starting 27th Dec 2022. I am a changed man and will be until my time comes to also leave this world. Many have suffered even worse I have no doubt. I realize that. But doesn't really make it any easier. Knowing that's very true. Anyway thanks Ed 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 2