SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Monochrome Camera

LDW1

A quick question, can I use an iPad to connect to and control a monochrome camera / refractor telescope rather than a laptop computer and if so with what app ?  What gear do I need for the connections ? Is this even the right forum ?

Edited by LDW1

• LDW1 changed the title to Monochrome Camera

Not that I'm aware of. A camera normally needs to be connected to a computer or an astrophotography controller like an RPI with Stellarmate or astroberry loaded onto it or an Asiair (if it's a zwo camera, some Canons, Nikons and Sony DSLRs/mirrorless are supported).

You mention telescope control, is the scope on a goto mount? The same thing usually applies regarding connection to an AP controller but some mounts can be controlled via apps though not many (the only one which comes to mind is an azgti, and Skywatchers similar class of mounts, I think the new Benro astro mount also has its own app). Most have physical hand controllers.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I am pretty new at this thus my question. I will have my scope mounted on an iOptron SlyHunter Go To System mount which is basically the equivallent of the SW GTi, I believe both can be controlled with either a hand controller or using a downloaded app that is ios supported as well. The only issue is can I use my iPad as the monitor as I don't own a laptop and hoping I don't have to buy one. I am starting out by trying to find others personal experience with this.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you found a solution yet. I came across one of these mini pc's

He connects it to his tablet/phone. Not sure if windows can be remote controlled via iPad.

And looks like they also sell a Stick computer that actually has an option to add a M.2 drive inside.

There might be a minor/major issue as they come with windows 11 and based on video Astrophotography needs windows 10 for full compatibility.

On 08/03/2023 at 05:50, LDW1 said:

A quick question, can I use an iPad to connect to and control a monochrome camera / refractor telescope rather than a laptop computer and if so with what app ?  What gear do I need for the connections ? Is this even the right forum ?

Can you state what equipment you have/plan to have.

i have been using an iPad to control a number of different rigs over the year

4 hours ago, iapa said:

Can you state what equipment you have/plan to have.

i have been using an iPad to control a number of different rigs over the year

Haven't gotten that far yet so why don't you tell me what you have been able to control.

From IPad a have SLT130 & AVX with WiFi adapter using SkySafari - not my preferred as it needed something else for focussing, scheduling etc. I was using a DSLR with intervalometer.

Which brings me to:

• The ASI Air/AirPro which control AVX/CGEM-DX/CGX-L mounts, and their EAF, filter wheel, and their image and guiding cameras.

Option I have also done with a Stick PC (not much bigger than my index and forefingers combined)

• TeamViewer on the iPad, managed PGP2, SGPro (managing scheduling, Celestron’s filter wheel, Pegasus focusser), Astronometry and Stellarium
  • Have done the same using Mico$oft Remote apps.

I can do a complete breakdown if need.

On 12/04/2023 at 15:39, Models By Night said:

Not sure if you found a solution yet. I came across one of these mini pc's

He connects it to his tablet/phone. Not sure if windows can be remote controlled via iPad.

And looks like they also sell a Stick computer that actually has an option to add a M.2 drive inside.

There might be a minor/major issue as they come with windows 11 and based on video Astrophotography needs windows 10 for full compatibility.

Microsoft have an iPad client for Remote DEsktop.

I’ve run quite an few astronomy applications on Windows 11 with no issues.

1 hour ago, iapa said:

From IPad a have SLT130 & AVX with WiFi adapter using SkySafari - not my preferred as it needed something else for focussing, scheduling etc. I was using a DSLR with intervalometer.

Which brings me to:

• The ASI Air/AirPro which control AVX/CGEM-DX/CGX-L mounts, and their EAF, filter wheel, and their image and guiding cameras.

Option I have also done with a Stick PC (not much bigger than my index and forefingers combined)

• TeamViewer on the iPad, managed PGP2, SGPro (managing scheduling, Celestron’s filter wheel, Pegasus focusser), Astronometry and Stellarium
  • Have done the same using Mico$oft Remote apps.

I can do a complete breakdown if need.

So this still applies to my using a momochrome cam probably of ZWO make or similar ?

6 hours ago, LDW1 said:

So this still applies to my using a momochrome cam probably of ZWO make or similar ?

If you choose the ASI Air/Pro/Plus, only ASI cameras are supported; mono or colour.

Support for a focus motor or filter wheel is also limited to their products currently.

The  list of of supported mounts in quite extensive - see their website.

I have to say that I have not has any issues (other than my idiocy) with setting up and running.

Should have also mentioned that polar alignment is also available with that ASI Air models, as is image scheduling, plate solving.

For my rigs that have other manufacturer’s filter wheel, cameras, etc. I use a windows stick running SGPro - all devices I use have ASCOM drivers.

Edited by iapa

My second post identifies my future where I am going, I am not interested in a filter wheel, I have owned them and don't like them, also no needs for a motor. My iOptron mount is the one and all I wanted is confirmation that I could use my ipad which I don't think is a problem with the gear I have been looking at. Thanx guys for all the valuable info to consider down the road and my thoughts might change, expand, as I get closer.