Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rum - Dark Sky Island Bid

saac

Latest bid for Dark Sky status, island of Rum is in the process of placing an application for Dark Sky Island status. These accreditations are obviously pitched at bringing visitors to the area but at the same time they do at least publicise the issues concerning light pollution.  I've spent some time on Rum, mainly hill walking, nice place and would be a really good astro observation site for the dedicated traveller.  If you feel so motivated there is a go fund page to support the application.

Fundraiser by Alex Mumford : Protecting the Dark Skies on the Isle of Rum (gofundme.com)

Jim 

Edited by saac

What is the point? It is too far north to have dark skies when the weather is suitable and then it will have the midge problem.  The weather will kill it off in the winter when the skies are dark..

• Haha 1

It's too far North lol. Let me guess you south of the Watford Gap?   If it helps I know the feeling Glasgow is way to far South for my liking. As for midges they fly South for the winter  :) 

Jim 

14 minutes ago, saac said:

It's too far North lol. Let me guess you south of the Watford Gap?   If it helps I know the feeling Glasgow is way to far South for my liking. As for midges they fly South for the winter  :) 

Jim 

Midges aren't that much of a problem.  The trick is to always go out with people who are tastier than you.

I do remember back in the 90's having to drive in an old long wheelbase land rover to rescue some German scouts who were hiking to the local scout campsite and got overcome by the midges.  That was wild.  They were hiding in their tents and every surface was black with them.

With the NC500 they could do with some more sites along the East Coast.  Just watch out in Sutherland.  They'll probably burn you at the stake up there for witchcraft if you've got a scope 🤣.  (Said in jest as a native of Sutherland)

• Haha 1

I have backpacked across the hills of Rum, wildcamping and stopped in the bothy. It is a fantastic nature conservation island. The ferry crossing though can potentially be very rough.

Footnote: passenger ferry only.

Edited by scarp15

All four of the Small Isles could have Dark Sky Island Status. Eigg already has an observatory, which was donated to the island a couple of years ago.

You also get fewer midges on the Small Isles, as most of them get blown over to the mainland. ;) 

The ferry isn't that bad. It's normally cancelled whenever a blow is forecast, so there's a chance your stay on the island could last longer then you planned. :D

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Midges aren't that much of a problem.  The trick is to always go out with people who are tastier than you.

I do remember back in the 90's having to drive in an old long wheelbase land rover to rescue some German scouts who were hiking to the local scout campsite and got overcome by the midges.  That was wild.  They were hiding in their tents and every surface was black with them.

With the NC500 they could do with some more sites along the East Coast.  Just watch out in Sutherland.  They'll probably burn you at the stake up there for witchcraft if you've got a scope 🤣.  (Said in jest as a native of Sutherland)

The trick of course is to eat them before they eat you . The midges not the scouts :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

If intent on stargazing, midge season starts to become a problem from around the second half of May and could last into October. Prior to that is still good optimum time for stargazing, by the time the midges become a significant nuisance, its beginning, at that latitude to become a bit too light anyway.  

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

If intent on stargazing, midge season starts to become a problem from around the second half of May and could last into October. Prior to that is still good optimum time for stargazing, by the time the midges become a significant nuisance, its beginning, at that latitude to become a bit too light anyway.  

They're not normally a problem in May, although they were earlier last year. It's later in the year that they really become a pain. I normally start imaging again from mid-August and this is when it'll be nice to have an obsy this year. I was building mine during late Summer last year and the midges drove me inside on a few evenings when I should have been building the Obsy. :( 

Late May to mid-August is when it's really too light to do any imaging but visual can make the season a bit longer up here. December is great, you can start imaging at about 5pm at that time of year! :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

They're not normally a problem in May, although they were earlier last year. It's later in the year that they really become a pain. I normally start imaging again from mid-August and this is when it'll be nice to have an obsy this year. I was building mine during late Summer last year and the midges drove me inside on a few evenings when I should have been building the Obsy. :( 

Late May to mid-August is when it's really too light to do any imaging but visual can make the season a bit longer up here. December is great, you can start imaging at about 5pm at that time of year! :D

Yes, we based ourselves on holiday in Tobermory late summer a few years ago and I took my astronomy binoculars and monopod. One evening I got to a good dark spot a couple of miles outside of Town. What was necessary and I was prepared for was to completely cover up to include cap , mosquito head net and summer gloves. The clouds of midges were horrendous and I think that became one of the shortest sessions ever. 

If there is free money going those living on these islands will be first in line for it!

Rum may not have many midges but it has a lot of ticks,

Edited by Cyril