NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Going from slow-mo to a dob

4 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Does anyone know the size needed for the secondary collimation screws?  Would like to get some ordered whilst I wait for D-day.

CNsec35 that’s the part number on FLO. The 8, 10, and 12” are the same.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

...and the size. A 10 inch is a big boy. Mine is a solid tube and pretty awkward to move about. The truss dobs would be easier but have other issues obviously (collimation, light shrouds, set up).

Fortunately, the size shouldn't be a major issue.  It's going to live up the shed and have to go about 8ft to where it will be setup.  Got a sack barrow if I do struggle.

I'm holding fire on upgrades at the moment, but I've got a list of links to different things people have done on here, including the roller bearings (either going to teflon or lazy Susan).

It's been a test of my moral fortitude to not go completely nuts on getting loads of bits for it, was this close to getting the encoders. 

So far I've only gone for an inclinometer (really want to try setting circles) and some stuff to flock it with.

When it arrives I'm going to make a template for the base parts.  I'm not a huge fan of particle board so I'm wanting to try remaking it out of exterior grade plywood and varnish.  Also having seen some of the home made dobs, I think the plywood and varnish gives a really nice 80's vibe.

16 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

That being said, I'm not sure what's going on, but desperately hoping the delivery date is correct and so is the clear outside app lol.

Screenshot_20230306-170009~2.png

Screenshot_20230306-215420.png

Full moon though!

And a wee bit chilly!

Ah well.  

Never mind.  Should still be clear on Wednesday.

Full moon isn't ideal, but I've got AG's double book and really keen on starting that.  @Mr Spock has got me fired up on them and also really want to try some better logging.  This far I've been basically using the "what I saw tonight' thread to track my observations 🫠

Screenshot_20230307-083509.png

• 4 weeks later...

Belated update after bedding in, only adding because I can't stand threads that don't reach a conclusion.

An update if anyone finds this and wonders how I got on, the scope is brilliant.  Still getting to grips with the fine detail but it is meachnically sound and wasn't a challenge at all moving from slow mo to nudging.

In terms of getting to grips it is just dialing in the tension and balance on the altitufe so far, a bit like backlash, but that'll come.  Azimuth responds well although I have had a bit of a rock on fine adjustments where it kind of rolls back to the direction it was pushed from, almost like it is rolling up a hill and is rolling back.  I should add that the azimuth problem was only really noticeable at x400 power...

No regrets at all and it takes about the same length of time to setup from my shed as the 130pds did.

• Like 3

I found that the slight rollback was solved by attaining a better balance on the scope. It should remain in position with only a minuscule if any tension on the side locking adjusters. I found this point of balance on my dobsonian with the addition of a movable magnet.

• Thanks 1