NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Total novice, what telescope?

Hi there, I’m totally new this but my eight year old daughter and I are really keen to buy a telescope and see what’s out there? I’m looking for advice on what to buy to get going, such as minimum size, type, accessories required, brands to avoid. Anything really would be great. I see loads of second hand one for sale so will probably go down that route. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Try the search function or just browse through the forum and read previous threads of the same nature.   It would help if you could advise us what your budget is, what you are hoping to see, what interests you and your daughter and if you want to learn the night sky or have a computerised mount find the targets for you.  

You will never get one scope that suites planetary and deep sky objects, and don't expect to see the same images in books or magazines when looking through a small table top scope.  Like I said, this is probably one of the most regularly asked questions on the forum, so there is plenty to research, so sit down with a cuppa and start browsing 

• Like 1

Sounds like loads of fun ahead for you both but have you considered a pair of binoculars to get you started? 

Cheaper and great for spontaneous "grab 'n go" observing, which is always good for impatient youngsters. 

Not so good for pointing at a specific object and letting someone else can quickly jumping in to have a look. 

As for telescopes,  previous responder has asked what type of objects you'd like to view? There's an element of horses for courses when it comes to telescopes. 

8 minutes ago, Bigstar101 said:

Thanks for your replies. I will take a looks at the links kindly posted. I want to see as far as possible but also want to see the planets. As I said just getting started. 

Plenty on here for new starters.  To anticipate what a small scope might show, you might also want to have a look here:

14 hours ago, Bigstar101 said:

Thanks for your replies. I will take a looks at the links kindly posted. I want to see as far as possible but also want to see the planets. As I said just getting started. 

One thing that does make me feel less inclined to offer my opinions or assistance on threads is when I've previously responded and asked various questions to help me and other members  make recommendations and the person then doesn't reply with details requested.   So I'll ask  again.... what is your budget (ie how much money do you have to spend ?)   

Seeing "as far as possible" is meaningless - you can see billions of miles when observing stars and other objects with just your eyes !  It would also help if you completed your profile and include your location.  It's no good any of us recommending something that won't perform under a heavy light polluted city.

• Like 1

Observers' situations and people's opinions about a "good" scope vary substantially.  One will insist you get a Dobsonian reflector and another will insist a refractor is the only to go.  Every scope has strengths and weaknesses.  And a lot of experienced observers have more than one scope because of that.  Anyway, suggest you have a look at Ed Ting's scope reviews on YouTube as well as check scope reviews on sites like "Sky at Night", etc.

One must have item is a stable / sturdy mount.  If your mount is wobbly, your viewing experience will be poor no matter what kind of scope you have or how much you spend on it.

JMO.

15 hours ago, Bigstar101 said:

Which part of the world are you in ?

This can help as there may be local shops. star parties or people who may be willing to provide hands on assistance.

Hello Bigstar101 and welcome to the site 👌

A lot, including me, start with a Dobsonian type telescope for ease of use and bang for bucks; however some of the larger versions could be completely wrong for your daughter as the eyepiece is more or less at the top of the telescope but some of the table top versions may work really well for you both. So if you could give us a rough budget guide we can certainly help in putting a few thoughts your way. All the best.