SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron 24mm Ultima Edge

LDW1

1 hour ago, LDW1 said:

Any thoughts on my selling my Baader 21mm Hyperion and buying the Celestron 24mm Ultima Edge ? Good plan or poor plan, worthwhile or not ?  I do know one thing, it costs about $100 C more than the Hyperion not that cost is an issue.

Can I ask what scope your using?

10 minutes ago, jetstream said:

👍

I sure like the 24mm ES 68- whats your primary use? The 20mm Lunt 100 is top notch too.

I am a dso viewer, moon / planets very little, I like the absolute flat field of my other 2 Edges, that will give me 30mm, 24mm and 15mm. They fit in well with my collection of Morpheus eps.

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Any thoughts on my selling my Baader 21mm Hyperion and buying the Celestron 24mm Ultima Edge ? Good plan or poor plan, worthwhile or not ?  I do know one thing, it costs about $100 C more than the Hyperion not that cost is an issue.

It may or may not be better than the 21mm.  It depends.  If your scope is f/4-f/6 it would be an improvment.

If your scope is >f/8, probably not, since the 21mm and 17mm are the best in the Hyperion series.

However, shop for price.  The Celestron is unlikely to be the least expensive label.

The same eyepiece is available in several labels:

Altair Astro                        UltraFlat (green)

APM

Ultra Flat Field

Celestron Ultima Edge
Meade Series 5000 UHD
Orion Ultra Flat Field
Sky Rover Ultra Flat Field
Stella Lyra (FLO) Ultra Flat
Tecnosky UltraFlatField
Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

It may or may not be better than the 21mm.  It depends.  If your scope is f/4-f/6 it would be an improvment.

If your scope is >f/8, probably not, since the 21mm and 17mm are the best in the Hyperion series.

However, shop for price.  The Celestron is unlikely to be the least expensive label.

The same eyepiece is available in several labels:

Altair Astro                        UltraFlat (green)

APM

Ultra Flat Field

Celestron Ultima Edge
Meade Series 5000 UHD
Orion Ultra Flat Field
Sky Rover Ultra Flat Field
Stella Lyra (FLO) Ultra Flat
Tecnosky UltraFlatField

From what I have found up here in Canada they all seem to be within $20 of each other, some brands aren't available up here, I would have to go out of the country, maybe. I will check even further, just to be satisfied.

4 hours ago, JeffC said:

The StellaLyra 24mm Ultra Flat is only about $160 Cdn, when they back out the tax (VAT).  That's about $100 less than local in Canada.  Shipping is reasonable too.

I will check that out. The cheapest I could find the Edge for was $280 C +tax. Most Canadian dealers are selling them for $338 +tax and shipping.

Edited by LDW1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, JeffC said:

The StellaLyra 24mm Ultra Flat is only about $160 Cdn, when they back out the tax (VAT).  That's about $100 less than local in Canada.  Shipping is reasonable too.

How about Canada Customs duties and you still have to pay Canadian sales tax on the Canadian value, I will check the shipping.

I wasn't / am not looking for small cost differences as a factor, just performance characteristics, build quality etc. that would cause someone / myself to avoid the captioned eyepiece.

1 hour ago, LDW1 said:

How about Canada Customs duties and you still have to pay Canadian sales tax on the Canadian value, I will check the shipping.

As far as I know, it's just HST (which you need to pay anyways) plus a $9.95 brokerage charge from Canada Post. I have one on order now, and shipping is about $20 Cdn.

12 minutes ago, JeffC said:

As far as I know, it's just HST (which you need to pay anyways) plus a $9.95 brokerage charge from Canada Post. I have one on order now, and shipping is about $20 Cdn.

Good luck with the customs, you will know when it hits Canada.

15 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Read my post above yours.

It's not perfect to the edge, but it is very good and has enough eye relief to use comfortably with eyeglasses.

If you have a two inch focuser, I much prefer the Omegon Redline 22mm and their kin (I have the Astro-Tech AF70 version) at that focal length range.  I'm not sure how much better either is than your Baader Hyperion 21mm, though.  I've never looked through any BH.

I eventually found an affordable used Nagler T4 22mm and use it preferentially in that focal length range now.  It's close to perfect to the edge with very mild field curvature, astigmatism, and SAEP.

I guess I would ask what it is about your BH 21mm that makes you want to swap it out for a different eyepiece.

Check this post of mine for comparison images through my eyepieces.  The 22mm to 24mm ranges (two separate groups) are toward the lower middle of that post and will give you some idea of how each performs at f/6 relative to each other:

The APM UFF 24, AT AF70 22mm, and NT4 22mm are all in there.