NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CAN A CELESTRON STARSENSE EXPLORER DOB FIND OBJECTS FASTER THAN AN OBSERVATORY TELESCOPE?

In various posts on SGL I've banged on about how fast SS Explorer scopes can locate objects in the night sky.  Indeed in my view they are faster than any goto system I've ever used.

Well, John Read from LearnToStargaze has put this to the test in a new video on utube.

You'll have to watch it, I'm not going to tell you how it ends 🙂.

20230214_183445.thumb.jpg.e24d26ad2cb1663797f4fc32db89e2c3.jpg

• Haha 1

Depends on the size and type of observatory.  For instance, a domed observatory slit mostly wouldn't provide enough sky coverage for the phone to recognise the star pattern, the weak point about the StarSense Explorer system.  A StarSense Explorer Dobsonian would probably beat any other motorised system in the right hands.  It would take me half the night to find anything phone based!   😀

Peter, the video compares using the dob  outside the dome - as you'd expect.  Most of us don't own domes.  If you have one, youll have to take the scope outside.  Not many people would go out to observe if the only clear sky was the width of a domes shutter!!   

You do not need a large area of clear sky for the SS to find it's location.   It is missleading to say this is a weak point, it isnt.  What's more it works when there is patchy clear sky and not enough stars are visible to use a finder.  I have done this myself, and more than a few times.

Also, the Starsense Explorer system uses a smartphone  mounted on the scope with the app downloaded on it.  It is NOT a motorised system.

If you want to pop over, Im more than happy to demonstrate it 🙂.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, markse68 said:

keying in the target in the dark when you forgot your reading glasses can be a bit of a pain and would slow you down but I reckon the SS would win most of the time :)

Mark

Mark, if I didn't wear my glasses I couldn't see a map to star hop or  operate any goto system either 😅.

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Peter, the video compares using the dob  outside the dome - as you'd expect.  Most of us don't own domes.  If you have one, youll have to take the scope outside.  Not many people would go out to observe if the only clear sky was the width of a domes shutter!!   

You do not need a large area of clear sky for the SS to find it's location.   It is missleading to say this is a weak point, it isnt.  What's more it works when there is patchy clear sky and not enough stars are visible to use a finder.  I have done this myself, and more than a few times.

Also, the Starsense Explorer system uses a smartphone  mounted on the scope with the app downloaded on it.  It is NOT a motorised system.

If you want to pop over, Im more than happy to demonstrate it 🙂.

I'm not knocking StarSense at all Paul, I think it is a game changer on a par with the Dobsonian and the PST.  I have bought two StarSense units and have made it possible to fit them to all of our suitable portable telescopes.  I'm aware that the system is not motorised and that is one of its main attributes.  As you know, I'm responsible for an outreach facility at a very exposed location, the majority of our visitors are not amateur astronomers and would at this time of year prefer the shelter of an observatory.

My hope, is that when the warmer weather arrives, visitors will be able to use the telescopes outside to find things themselves with the benefit of Starsense.  

Edited by Peter Drew
  • Like 2

Great Peter,  that's a really good use for the Starsense system.  Though, you might get a few requests from people who want you to do a mod for them when they know how well it works.  People often think it sounds too good to be true if you tell them about it - until they try it for themselves 😊.     I certainly did! 

Edited by paulastro