NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for a second scope to complement my 80ED

A couple of years or so in to my astro journey and still very much a learner, I'm looking to expand my observing skills as well as open up new viewing opportunities.

My first scope was a 102mm Mak on a barely adequate EQ mount, I learnt a lot from this and had may enjoyable sessions observing mainly lunar and planetary targets. Ultimately though I couldn't get on with the inaccurate focussing system so moved this on in exchange for a TS 80mmED 570FL refractor. I've used this on the TS Optics AZT6 mount and a camera tripod but now have a Berlebach Uni 18 inbound which will give me more options for scopes and mounts.

Whilst I really enjoy using the 80ED the aperture and focal length obviously impose compromises, so my thoughts are turning towards getting another scope to complement the frac. I also rather like the idea of mounting them in parallel.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a 6" Classical Cassegrain, this will give me the aperture and much higher power I'm looking for compared to the 80ED. I could use these in an either or situation, depending on the targets for the night, or together on one mount to give differing views of the same target. Both scopes will cool down quickly and be near immune from dew, two issues that can be a problem here in Hungary.

That leaves me with a dilemma over the mount, it will definitely be a manual ALT/AZ, preferably with two OTA mounting options and ideally with slo-mo. Choices seem to be at either end of the quality/price spectrum, with the Sky-Tee (or TS version) being at one end, and the Losmandy/Rowan mounts at the other. I could really do with something in between those options. Or do I stick with quality and go for something like the Berlebach Castor or Giro Ercole and sacrifice the slo-mo controls?

Please chip in with thoughts and advice, any options I may have missed, or something I've maybe not thought through quite right.

I think the 6” CC is a good choice to complement the 80ED. I would probably give the Mini Ercole a go. It’s a very capable mount and should handle those two quite easily. I did without slow motion controls for years before having an AZ100, and still don’t find them essential eg if using an AZ75z

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8256_Giro-Ercole-Mini-Altazimuth-Mount-for-Telescopes-up-to-9-kg.html

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion Stu.

I wonder how the Mini Ercole would compare with the Castor, both similar weights and payload and how they perform in comparison to my AZT6. I do like the apparent quality of those mounts compared to the Sky-Tee, so on the one hand better quality build and finish, on the other the slo-mo controls .......

That 6 inch corrector plate will dew over in no time flat, I use a dew shield and a Celestron dew heater ring.

It's a very good compliment to my 60mm refractor.

That uni is also an excellent purchase.

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

That 6 inch corrector plate will dew over in no time flat, I use a dew shield and a Celestron dew heater ring.

It's a very good compliment to my 60mm refractor.

That uni is also an excellent purchase.

I thought one of the advantages of the CC was not being prone to dew?

• Like 1

Sorry, error. The scope you're looking at is more like a Newtonian design so should be okay. Mirror may dew up but less likely due to the OTA being like a big dew shield.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nicoscy said:

Noh's Mount CT20 and add a second clamp. I have the CT30 myself and love it.

That looks a very interesting and well made option, I like it.

Only available direct from South Korea though, shipping, tax (27% here in Hungary) and import duties would push it in to Rowan price territory.

Food for thought though, I'll do some sums ............