Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coma corrector / reducer flattener for OO VX 10 - f4.8 Newtonian

fwm891

I'm in the process of getting an Orion Optics (UK) VX10 with 1/10th wave optics which I will be using with (at present) a couple of cameras: AA 26C and an ASi585MC. I have a Nikon 800E and D5100 although I'm not planning on using these regularly with the 10 inch.

My question:

I currently use a Baader MPCC Mk III coma corrector with an Altair 102ED Ascent refractor, which after tweaking the spacing gives me quite reasonable stars to the corners of the 26C and I will probably continue using this on the VX10. From playing with a FoV simulator (https://12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php#) I'd like to add a reducer/flattener into the mix but really unsure about which to go with. How much reduction: probably around 0.75x - 0.8x reduction.

Anyone here using a similar scope with reducers? would love to hear the goods and not so goods about them.

Thanks Francis

I have only done research on this myself, but reducer coma correctors seem extremely rare, and when you find one, it's expensive! (Think £500+!)

I found them with 0.75x mag, and they all claimed to be suitable up to APSC, but then the 4element GPU corrector claimed to be full frame suitable, and I don't think it was based on my own experience.

From what I understand, parabolic mirrors are great if you plan on using them plain with eyepieces etc, but awful if you want to correct the peripheral field as well. This is because coma correctors end up creating some spherical abberation (like the Baader) at the center as a result of the parabolic mirror being perfectly corrected for sphere already. But if you paired the Baader mpcc with a hyperbolic mirror (somewhere around k=1.22 according to people on cloudy nights) the center would be corrected for sphere as well as reasonably corrected at the edges.

I can see if I can find the correctors when I get home and drop you the links. For now though I might say it's a bit "untested" as I struggled to find high Res example images, let alone raw subs!

Best of luck with your new kit!

• Thanks 1

On 07/02/2023 at 14:10, fwm891 said:

I'm in the process of getting an Orion Optics (UK) VX10 with 1/10th wave optics which I will be using with (at present) a couple of cameras: AA 26C and an ASi585MC. I have a Nikon 800E and D5100 although I'm not planning on using these regularly with the 10 inch.

My question:

I currently use a Baader MPCC Mk III coma corrector with an Altair 102ED Ascent refractor, which after tweaking the spacing gives me quite reasonable stars to the corners of the 26C and I will probably continue using this on the VX10. From playing with a FoV simulator (https://12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php#) I'd like to add a reducer/flattener into the mix but really unsure about which to go with. How much reduction: probably around 0.75x - 0.8x reduction.

Anyone here using a similar scope with reducers? would love to hear the goods and not so goods about them.

Thanks Francis

I realised i forgot to link the corrector I found before:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p14460_Starizona-Nexus-0-75x-Newtonian-Focal-Reducer---Coma-Corrector.html

As I stated... it is not cheap! And only advertises correction to slightly shy of APS-C format (28mm circle, compared to diagonal of most APS-C sensors around 31mm). The example images look good, but aren't very high res and look like they might use some starless processing? hard to say.

This is so far the only coma corrector to offer more than just a little bit (i.e. more than 0.95x) reduction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1