SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which telescope to buy?

Ok, I have posted few threads before, on getting a new telescope, and I appreciate the answers. But I am still slightly confused, and wish that this thread should be the last.

I have landed on these two scopes:

1) https://fotocart.in/product/startracker-114-900-eq-3-1-reflector-telescope/

2) https://fotocart.in/product/startracker-80eq-refractor-f400mm-refractor-telescope/

These two scopes are under my $185 budget. The telescope should be able to see DSO and planets of solar system(with detail). I also want to know if the 2nd scope is good for the above motive.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I bought 1st scope mentioned above. And I am amazed by how much stuff I can see with it. It is great for moon and DSOs, but slightly bad at planets like Venus, Jupiter, etc. I cannot try on saturn because it not visible.

Edited by Navixc

There is no replacement for getting to see the equipment in person.  Find a astro club, even if you have to drive a hour or two, get your hands on the scopes.  Amateur astronomers love to show off their toys and explain the ins and outs of them. Make note of the accessories they are equiped with and make notes of what you like and don't like.  Do this before you spend a cent.  I hate to say this, but your budget is pretty low.  Most of us have eyepieces that cost more then that.  I would suggest that you slow down and find a way to double your budget.  In the end i think you will be glad you did that. 

Edited by Mike Q

The second telescope is best used for widefield viewing, not looking at planets. The aperture is rather small for viewing galaxies and other 'faint fuzzy objects'.

With a budget of $185 you are in danger of getting a telescope that is disappointing and discourages you from pursuing astronomy further.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The second telescope is best used for widefield viewing, not looking at planets. The aperture is rather small for viewing galaxies and other 'faint fuzzy objects'.

With a budget of $185 you are in danger of getting a telescope that is disappointing and discourages you from pursuing astronomy further.

This right here is solid advice 

I'm guessing being in India that your budget is constrained by wages being well behind Western Europe and the US for comparable work.  As such, I would recommend saving up for a bit longer to stretch to a 6", f/8 Dobsonian from GSO or Synta (Skywatcher).  Such a scope would not disappoint and would keep you busy finding and observing objects for years to come.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2023 at 12:19, Navixc said:

The nearest astronomical club is out of my town. So I cannot visit it.

Whereabouts in India do you live?- is it an urban area etc. As others have said its best to save up and get a decent scope.

EDIT: I found this link https://bas.org.in/

My suggestion would be to join them on their Telegram chat group and ask the questions about locally available scopes, etc. Good luck

Edited by AstroMuni

On 07/02/2023 at 11:43, Navixc said:

These two scopes are under my $185 budget. The telescope should be able to see DSO and planets of solar system(with detail). I also want to know if the 2nd scope is good for the above motive. 

Sorry, but on that budget what you want isn't practical.  To see fine detail of Jupiter you are going to be looking at a scope costing 5x to 10x your budget.  You'll also need a clear and dark observing site if you want to see detail in DSO's rather than faint greenish smudge.  

The links no longer work (get a code 500 error) so can't comment on the individual scope, but some of the other comments would suggest you are going to be disappointed irrespective which model you opted for.    

• Like 1