Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zwo asi224mc - glass particles on sensor

Peter_D

Hi,

Stupid me, I dropped my Zwo asi224mc . I thought everything was ok but unfortunately the glass sensor window cracked. I tried to ensure no particles were on the sensor but you can see from the photo that some are on the sensor (the black spots are dust on my microscope lens, the white particles are the glass on the sensor)

Is the camera salvageable?

😒

Thanks for any feedback

Peter

IMG_20230206_102046012.jpg

After accidentally unscrewing the wrong bit of my ASI224MC in the dark, I found that exposing the sensor is a bad idea. It is quite difficult to get rid of spots and smears that show up subsequently when imaging, and difficult to determine whether they are on the sensor or on the clear window. 

It is possible to clean the window disc by the usual methods. As for the sensor, it seems safe to dust it off with a fine-bristled art brush. Be careful of blowing on it, as a aerosol may deposit unwanted stuff. Vacuuming might work. IIRC there are materials and techniques for cleaning DSLR sensors. 

Replacement window discs may be available from ZWO.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Will they not just vacuum off? I would be loathe to try to brush them as it may scratch the sensor. The windows can be replaced. I think that you won't know for sure until the sensor is cleaned and tried out.

Great suggestion, I didn't think about this option. Will give it a go, thank you

7 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

After accidentally unscrewing the wrong bit of my ASI224MC in the dark, I found that exposing the sensor is a bad idea. It is quite difficult to get rid of spots and smears that show up subsequently when imaging, and difficult to determine whether they are on the sensor or on the clear window. 

It is possible to clean the window disc by the usual methods. As for the sensor, it seems safe to dust it off with a fine-bristled art brush. Be careful of blowing on it, as a aerosol may deposit unwanted stuff. Vacuuming might work. IIRC there are materials and techniques for cleaning DSLR sensors. 

Replacement window discs may be available from ZWO.

Thanks, I try the brush method if the vacuuming is unsuccessful