Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zoom advice please?

stephec

I'm looking at possibly getting a zoom for my 6"F5 reflector, something around the 7 - 21 range as I already have a BST 5mm, and would finish it off with a 30 - 35mm plossil of some variety. 

The two I'm thinking of are both from Svbony - 

SV191 9 - 27mm

SV135 7 - 21mm

Does anyone have experience with either of these two please? 

Can't comment on those, I got an sv171 (8-24mm) and the sv215(3-8mm).  Svbony do some good zooms.

If you're going to order from AliExpress for them get the sv131 plossl.  Really nice eyepiece for not a lot of money.  Currently my most used eyepiece

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 15:14, Ratlet said:

Can't comment on those, I got an sv171 (8-24mm) and the sv215(3-8mm).  Svbony do some good zooms.

If you're going to order from AliExpress for them get the sv131 plossl.  Really nice eyepiece for not a lot of money.  Currently my most used eyepiece

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 2

Of the two, I only have the SV135 (7-21mm) and for the price there isn't much to complain about. It's reasonably small & light and the zoom is fairly smooth. Optically, I haven't noted any significant issues. It has (possibly) the narrowest FOV at the longer end, compared to other zooms but that may or not matter to you. A wider FOV will cost a fair bit more.

4 hours ago, wulfrun said:

Of the two, I only have the SV135 (7-21mm) and for the price there isn't much to complain about. It's reasonably small & light and the zoom is fairly smooth. Optically, I haven't noted any significant issues. It has (possibly) the narrowest FOV at the longer end, compared to other zooms but that may or not matter to you. A wider FOV will cost a fair bit more.

The 7.2-

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wulfrun said:

I am 

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I am a wide field guy with my eyepieces ie 76° at minmm so it matters to me but the zooms are great for what they are and how I use them. Remember they are a zoom, for most astronomrs not a main ep, on most nites, you may differ.

I agree with you completely, I also use a zoom as a tool for use when appropriate. I also like wide-field, my other EPs are at least 60-degree and some are 82-degree. I was merely pointing out the narrow FOV at the longer end to the OP.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 09:49, stephec said:

I'm looking at possibly getting a zoom for my 6"F5 reflector, something around the 7 - 21 range as I already have a BST 5mm, and would finish it off with a 30 - 35mm plossil of some variety. 

The two I'm thinking of are both from Svbony - 

SV191 9 - 27mm

SV135 7 - 21mm

Does anyone have experience with either of these two please? 

I don't know

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

I have never used any of the 7 to 21mm stuff, but i have used Celestrons, Orion and the Baader 8 to 24mm stuff.  The order they are in is the order i would rate them.  The Baader is the cream of the crop without a doubt but i didnt think it was 75 or 100 bucks better.  

On 02/02/2023 at 20:06, bomberbaz said:

I have had the ovl versions of them both. They are very functional and I agree with the 7-21 being best for you.

If you have a 2" focuser though, get a 28-30mm 2" eyepiece. 

Is that the Hyperflex? 

I've seen a few UK shops offering it for around £89 which is very tempting. 

1.25 only for me though. 

1 hour ago, Mike Q said:

I have never used any of the 7 to 21mm stuff, but i have used Celestrons, Orion and the Baader 8 to 24mm stuff.  The order they are in is the order i would rate them.  The Baader is the cream of the crop without a doubt but i didnt think it was 75 or 100 bucks better.  

I like my 

Edited by LDW1

I have the OVL 7-21mil version and I agree: optically, it's excellent. The FOV is rather narrow compared with the fixed-length EPs I normally use, but no serious problem there. My only issue is that the zoom ring is so stiff that I have to use two hands, thus often knocking the scope off target.

48 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I have the OVL 7-21mil version and I agree: optically, it's excellent. The FOV is rather narrow compared with the fixed-length EPs I normally use, but no serious problem there. My only issue is that the zoom ring is so stiff that I have to use two hands, thus often knocking the scope off target.

I have owned 

Edited by LDW1

2 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Did it not loosen up the more you use it? 

1 minute ago, LDW1 said:

I have owned at least 8-9 zooms, if yours is that stiff you are just one unlucky astronomer and I am talking using mine below freezing ! You had better tie your scope down.

Unlucky is my middle name....😉

1 minute ago, stephec said:

Did it not loosen up the more you use it? 

Nope!

22 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Mine too. It does very well for the price, but the action is a bit too stiff.

50 minutes ago, stephec said:

The only problem I can see with having a zoom is that I never end up with a nice looking case full like this. 🤣

post-849-0-47964100-1458679528.jpg

Are you 

Edited by LDW1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I like my 3 Svbonys so well I just put my Mark IV up for sale, after posting some of this, lol. In Canada the Svbony sv191, wide field is $150, Baader Mark IV is $400.

Yeah the Baader is expensive no doubt about it.  I have yet to actually run into anything made by Svbony.  Like Baader they dont seem to be overly popular in my neck of the woods. 

6 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Are you bragging or complaining ??  Now I see where this is leading !

I was looking forward to having a nice looking case like that, although maybe not quite that level of quality. 😊

Edited by stephec