Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Truely new beginners seeks advise

The stock 10mm eyepiece isn't great, though the poor view may be due to a low elevation - Jupiter isn't as well placed as it was.

The Starguider range has an 8mm and 12mm, no 10mm.

There are some here:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4931_TS-Optics-1-25--ED--eyepiece-12-mm---60--flat-field--long-eye-relief.html

though they look pricey compared with FLO?

In the U.S. look for Astrotech Paradigms.

Thanks alot. Yes, they are much more expensive than from FLO, unfortunately.

As I understand following eyepieces are from the same manufacturer, just differently branded:

- BST Starguider 1.25 8mm (16mm eye relief)

- TS Optics 1.25 ED 8mm (16mm eye relief)

- Agena Starguider 1.25 Dual ED 8mm (16-20mm eye relief)

- Astro-Tech paradigm 1.25 Dual ED 8mm (13mm relief)

All these eyepieces look identical but there are differences in the eye relief? Does anyone know why?

I'd be surprised if there really were any difference in eye relief. The view on here has always been that they are just different badging of the same generic eyepieces (and I think there are others).

More likely is that some of the companies have been more accurate than others in their sales literature. It's quite common.

Thanks Zermelo. I will try to get the Agena or Astrotech when I am in the US. 

Just for my ciriosity, are the Baader Hyperion EPs much better than the BST ones? I can see that they have a larger FOV. 

Which EP will work best with a MAK 127?

1 hour ago, Taichou said:

Thanks Zermelo. I will try to get the Agena or Astrotech when I am in the US. 

Just for my ciriosity, are the Baader Hyperion EPs much better than the BST ones? I can see that they have a larger FOV. 

Which EP will work best with a MAK 127?

I've never used Hyperions. There's a consensus that they're not at their best in fast scopes (below F/6), but they should work well in the Skymax. You'll get a wider field, and good build quality, coatings, etc., but they're over twice the price of the Starguiders, in the UK at least. I don't think you'll get better performance than the Starguiders at their price, and they would also perform well in a faster scope, if you decide to get one later on.

If you do want to spend more to get a wider field, I'd look at the OVL Nirvanas, which are good value in their class (and there is a 10mm). From within the EU, I believe these are identical, but others may know more.