Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobsonian mods

I have carried out a few modifications to my new 12” SL dobsonian. Modified the secondary mirror holder to allow accurate rotation of the secondary mirror. Heavier gauge springs on primary mirror assembly, Fitted the Starsense unit to the tube. Fitted rubber feet to the base to allow the tube to stand vertically without pressure on the collimation knobs. Fitted a moveable wrapped magnet for attaining desired balance. Lastly fitted two nylon/acrylic straps with handles to enable easier lifting of the tube. Just got to either fashion a dew shield for it now (or buy one for £115😳) and it’s ready for first light. My equatorial platform should be finished by Dave Lukehurst in February. I’m looking forward to first light.

7AA92732-1EF6-4FE5-BDFC-69CE1FF5E698.thumb.jpeg.e150c1c82f76be647b560c875fb34512.jpeg8A048C81-C837-4BDB-B2BB-A7757770E535.thumb.jpeg.e1cd9c9583099b1ae9109460115f9e6a.jpegB83FB977-49D3-4F7A-B685-F77EA49451FE.thumb.jpeg.c2ce8a04c8b401e278da6e33df7485db.jpegC54D6D5F-C532-4C7C-A8E1-D264484FDA80.thumb.jpeg.ca04e44218df68b3707c6811956ad87f.jpeg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Lastly fitted two nylon/acrylic straps with handles to enable easier lifting of the tube.

Excellent mods sir! I also have a strap on my C8 instead of a handle, it's very effective and better than a handle in that you can position it anywhere around the OTA to suit. 👍  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

The only thing I'm missing is the straps for easy lifting.

They sell them on Amazon. 
DASNTERED Carrying Strap with Handle, Luggage Lashing Strap | Adjustable Travel Holder Strap for Safely Moving and Lifting and Carrying Heavy Boxes, Groceries, Luggage(size:Ordinary type) https://amzn.eu/d/eHSYs4o

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Excellent mods sir! I also have a strap on my C8 instead of a handle, it's very effective and better than a handle in that you can position it anywhere around the OTA to suit. 👍  

Going to get one for my SCT 8”

Thanks for the idea. Brain freeze 🥶

• Like 1

You are probably going to need a dew heater for the OTA, finder and eyepiece depending on your conditions.  I would try a homemade dew shield first as you might get away with it.  Make it at least 2 foot long and it will act as a light shield too. 

1 minute ago, Mike Q said:

You are probably going to need a dew heater for the OTA, finder and eyepiece depending on your conditions.  I would try a homemade dew shield first as you might get away with it.  Make it at least 2 foot long and it will act as a light shield too. 

I’ve already got all the dew heater straps and controllers etc. I tried to make one last night out of foam but it got brewers droop and ended up in the bin! I have got an SGL member sending me some underlay which will be my last attempt. If that fails I will just pay for one though it’s expensive.

9 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I’ve already got all the dew heater straps and controllers etc. I tried to make one last night out of foam but it got brewers droop and ended up in the bin! I have got an SGL member sending me some underlay which will be my last attempt. If that fails I will just pay for one though it’s expensive.

I would have to look to be sure, but the one i made for my 10 inch is at least a quarter inch thick.  The one for the 16.... It seems to be working, but i may have to make a support structure for it out of wire.  Time will tell