Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M46, M47 plus NGC 2538

MalcolmM

Very occasionally I attach a DSLR on to the back of a Tak FS60CB and try my hand at very low tech AP. Roughly polar aligned by eye on a Vixen Advanced Polaris. 40 x 10s shots at ISO 800 automatically processed in Sequator. I love relatively wide field shots as you can see the objects in context but I have cropped this one a bit so the little planetary nebula is more obvious. 

I was looking for M46 and M47 last year to 'tick them off' (visually) and was intrigued to learn about the planetary nebula. So I have been waiting a year to try and see if I could capture it. Very pleased with the outcome albeit very noisy and compressed quite a bit!

MalcolmM46_M47.NGC2438.thumb.jpg.9da5a6b97da7bb69125f165bc6c7127e.jpg

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Great shot @MalcolmM  I always enjoy seeing the planetary nebula in M46.  Can you see it faintly or at all visually?

I like the sound of your blended "visual + AP" approach you mentioned.

Thanks @geeklee, no I didn't see it visually last year, in fact when I was observing M46 I didn't even realise there was an embedded planetary nebula! I intend to have a look for it visually next time I'm out! Not sure what size of scope would be needed to see it, or how dark a sky; I'm in Bortle 5 or 6 I think.

Malcolm 

• Like 2

Thanks @JeremyS, though it's more a 'snap' than an AP image 🙂 I think I will try with the CQ extender some time to 'zoom' in a bit; that'll test my rudimentary aligning and guiding!

Thanks @Neil_104, it makes for a lovely picture. @geeklee I tried to see it visually last night in a 4" scope but could barely see M46 let alone the planetary!

Malcolm 

• Like 2