Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C/2022 E3 (ZTF) ~06.00 2nd Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Paul,

That is superb.   And overlaying your image in Skymap I reckon the tail was almost 2 arc-degrees long.  It's forecast to be clear on Monday night after all the lousy weather.  I hope that's correct - i've a long standing image on the go and hope to get more data.  But later in the night when the comet is reasonably high (about 42 deg at 3 am) I will definitely turn my attention to it with my Canon 700D (modded).  Probably on my 420 mm TS Quad.  Diagonal 3 deg 40 mins.  Or maybe my slightly 'faster' 400 mm Canon prime lens.  Neither of them anywhere as fast as your RASA of course, but fingers crossed!  Even at that focal length the tail may be too long, in which case it will be on with my Canon 200 lens!

Cheers,

Peter

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, petevasey said:

It's forecast to be clear on Monday night after all the lousy weather.

Hello Peter!

Thank you.

It has been a looong few weeks of 'weather'.  I also have plans for Monday!  Hope it works out for everyone.

Cheers, Paul.

As a matter of interest, if I've done my sums right.  Skymap Pro reckons the comet was 150 million Km away on 2nd. January.  Which makes your almost 2 degree tail around 5 million Km long.  13 times the distance from the Earth to the Moon.  Wow!  I wonder if it will have left enough debris to give a meteor shower at some time.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1