NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A nice discovery

RobertI

Skies were clear again tonight, so I got the ZS 66 out for a quick session. While scanning around the southern aspect near Orion at low power I found a lovely pair of equally bright white stars just discernible as a pair - very pretty. I just had to get the 102ED out to have a proper look - I popped in the zoom with a Barlow, and as I zoomed in on this lovely double, one of the pair became another even closer double of equal brightness stars, revealing a beautiful triple. Turns out I was looking at Beta Monocerotis, clearly well known, but not to me! The closer pair are 2.8” apart and mags 5.4 and 5.6, the third is mag 4.6 and stands 7.4” away. An amazing sight. Whilst in multiple star mode I went to Sigma Orionis and could easily see three components and the much fainter fourth.

I then switched to the to the 17.5mm Morpheus for some wider field views at 40x. I could still JUST see the fourth component of Sigma Orionis with averted vision. Then onto M42. I was very surprised that with the UHC filter in I could make out the full extent of the nebula including the outer arc extending as far as Iota Orionis. Possibly thanks to good transparency, good glass and good filter. 

I then randomly had a look at the Owl Nebula and M108. Although in a brighter part of the sky the Owl was immediately visible with M108 in the same FOV but much harder to see. Putting in the OIII filter really made the Owl stand out - no doubt about what I was looking at. M108 all but disappeared though.

I spent another good hour enjoying the open clusters of Orion, Gemini, Auriga, Perseus and Cassiopeia. 

The combination of the 102ED and 17.5mm Morpheus really does give some special views. Wonderful contrast, subtle colours, tiny faint stars at the edge of visibility and good sharpness across a wide field. And at x40 the sky is sufficiently darkened but the field is still wide enough. My favourite combination of scope and eyepiece at present. :)

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 8

Nice report! I too find that I really enjoy views through my 102 with my 9mm morpheus which is a similar combination to what you used. Those open clusters and doubles look great when set against a black sky. Regarding your surprise discovery of Beta M, it's so cool when you discover something for the first time, Imagine my shock a few years back when I first discovered that Epsilon Lyrae was actually a double double! while looking through my old 115mm Eon, I was breathless. 

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1