Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion ST80 or AWB OneSky for portability?

I’m in the market for a portable scope that I’d ideally be able to toss in a bag or backpack while I’m out camping or flying. The ST80 seems like a great option for me, but my primary interest is in galaxies and nebulae. Is 80mm enough to see any details in galaxies under relatively dark skies such as bortle 4?

And if not, how much more detail would a 130mm dobsonian show? I’ve seen a couple people turn the AWB OneSky into a travel scope by mounting it on a tripod, so I’d be willing to do this. Still, the ST80 is the perfect size for me if I wouldn’t be disappointed in the views it gives 

The ST 80 often associated with Orion is made by a number of different companies, most notably SW. I observe in bortle 4 once a month on average, a distinct advantage over my bortle 5 back garden. A ST 80 will show loads in bortle 4 skies, perhaps as much as a 8 inch dob in bortle 5/6 skies. I use exclusively a 102 mm retractor. In bortle 4 I can see the veil and the whirlpool no bother, but I can’t see either in bortle 5 and even my old OO 10 inch dob struggled to see the whirlpool and never the veil. 

That for me is a bit optimistic. I use a ST80 and 102r in good skies, the 80 gives a glimpse but the 102r shows more.  I'm not sure if you'd be disappointed with the views a ST80 gives for deep sky?  I use mine a lot, especially to observe comets with nice wide views, and as you say very portable.

I have a Meade ST80 clone and it obviously does much better under dark skies compared to the light pollution soup I'm in a home.  If you're going after a lot of detail in galaxies, etc. I'm not sure an 80mm would be enough even under dark skies.  

OTOH, it's very portable and inexpensive.  Trade offs...

I had ordered this 80mm f/6 fast-achromat from Canada several years ago, the Antares 805...

1078527688_Antares805s2.jpg.1c84243fcbd65994e84f561438bad67a.jpg

At f/6, it is 80mm longer than a ubiquitous ST80, which results in somewhat less false-colour, or chromatic-aberration, whilst viewing brighter, tighter objects in particular, planets and stars.

An afocal shot of the Moon, taken through the achromat...

100715f.jpg.a4938175f28ba8b6231e194c1dca5b70.jpg

You can see the royal-blue(reddish blue) edging round; that's false-colour.  However, that's the way the camera saw it.  It's less intense during a live view, when looking into the eyepiece with the eye, but you get the idea.  With the ST80, at f/5, the false-colour will be more pronounced, of course.  The longer the achromat, the less false-colour to be seen...

1779982435_70-900kit.jpg.d147ee81f483d89bb8d5dfa75d4e81a4.jpg

That is a 70mm achromat at f/13.

The ST80 has quite a following, but I view it as a secondary, specialty telescope; not as the primary instrument.

In the long run, the apochromatic AWB "OneSky", also at f/5, would be the better choice.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan. I ended up ordering the AWB OneSky and will replace the dobsonian mount with a tripod. I realized the tube collapses to about the same size as the ST80, it’s obviously just a bit thicker, which won’t impact portability too much. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Asparagoose said:

Thanks Alan. I ended up ordering the AWB OneSky and will replace the dobsonian mount with a tripod. I realized the tube collapses to about the same size as the ST80, it’s obviously just a bit thicker, which won’t impact portability too much. 

Good, that.   Have you a suitable mount in mind?

Hi @Asparagoose and welcome to SGL. :hello2:
The ST80 [or clone] would be a good start for many targets. If Lunar and planetary piques your interest, then maybe a small aperture Maksutov or SCT. 

Each design of ‘scope has it share of pros & cons.

post-4682-0-18335100-1394160258_thumb.jpgThis is one of my ‘portable’ setups, so I get the best of both, so to speak.