Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Fortnight to Go!

orion25

Two weeks to opposition, a week to perigee! A variably cloudy week for us in the southern U.S. but during those brief windows of clarity, I was able to capture some valuable Martian data. Here is the result of Wednesday night's hour-long session, Valles Marineris/Sinus Meridiani regions and the polar hood on full display:

429226145_ASTRONOMY-MARS11-23-22.jpg.3fd90d0167ea9f82be89e5a3b819b072.jpg

Orion 180mm Mak, ASI224mc, no barlow, captured in Firecapture, processed in Registax 6 and Photoshop

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, Geof. How's the Red Planet looking from your neck of the woods?

It's been a real struggle recently, with the weather refusing to cooperate. I've tried to grab an image several nights recently, but no sooner do I get Mars on the camera sensor than clouds shut me down. The forcast for the last 2 nights was for clear skies, but that didn't materialise. The forecast for tonight is clear, but the Jetstream is sat over the southern half of the uk, so seeing will probably be poor. I'm just keeping everything crossed for some decent opportunities over the coming few weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

It's been a real struggle recently, with the weather refusing to cooperate. I've tried to grab an image several nights recently, but no sooner do I get Mars on the camera sensor than clouds shut me down. The forcast for the last 2 nights was for clear skies, but that didn't materialise. The forecast for tonight is clear, but the Jetstream is sat over the southern half of the uk, so seeing will probably be poor. I'm just keeping everything crossed for some decent opportunities over the coming few weeks.

Fingers, toes, arms, and eyes crossed for you, buddy!

• Thanks 1