Web cam photography

Hi again everyone,

I'm really beginning to get into astro photography but am only using my mobile phone camera held up against the eyepiece (don't laugh!!!). Am now looking to get into this a little more seriously and need some advice about web cam hardware (want to go down the web cam route), adapter requirements, software, where to purchase the gear from and anything else you feel I need to know. I understand the Toucam is perhaps the best but I stand corrected. I imaging that this topic has been discussed before so if anyone has any links to other threads that would also be good. Don't ask for much do I!!!

Cheers in anticipation,

Chris

The Phillips Toucam Pro is great for bright objects such as the moon and planets but will not do long exposures - longest is 1/25 seconds. To go for the longer exposures you need a modified Toucam. There are a variety of these all with the suffix SC. This stands for Steve Chambers, the guy who developed the mods. There are a variety of them but perhaps the best is the SC1.3. They occasionally become available second hand, you can do the mod yourself it you are handy with a soldering iron and circuit boards or you can by an ordinary toucam and get someone to do it for you. A guy called Andy Coxellis, who is a member of the forum, does it for a very reasonable rate. The other option is the Atik range of cameras which are basically modded web cams - available from www.modernastronomy.com. I have an atik 2HS which I am very very pleased with.

Hello to you all,

Thanks very much for all the tips and advice, much appreciated. Am going to have a look through some on-line shops and create a dent in my credit card. Thnaks again will post the results (if they're any good!). Thanks again for your time in replying.

Chris

Archived