Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eye pieces for Skywatcher explorer 200

Hi, just bought a second hand Skywatcher explorer 200 and looking at the eye pieces their a little on the tatty side, so I need some advice on new ones.

My daughter will be using this mainly and wants a good around gazing experience, so Moon and probably close ups of this so to speak, planets, galaxy's and Nevbulas. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

An idea of your budget would help. The EPs mentioned above are fine but you can do even better with more cash! 😄

In no way do I want to go over board incase this turns out to be another fad! I think the Bst's look good also seen the Astro essentials range on first light optics, any thoughts on these?

3 minutes ago, reddish75 said:

In no way do I want to go over board incase this turns out to be another fad! I think the Bst's look good also seen the Astro essentials range on first light optics, any thoughts on these?

I think you'd be better off with the BSTs. Also check out the Vixen NPL range - superb value for money, though I wouldn't go shorter than the 20mm, as eye relief becomes a problem. I used a 30mm as my wide-field EP for ages and it gave very respectable views.

Zooms are good, they are handy, i have a 8 to 24 Orion and it used to be my go to eyepiece.  While i still use it, 2 inch eyepieces are what i mostly use.  

6 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I think you'd be better off with the BSTs. Also check out the Vixen NPL range - superb value for money, though I wouldn't go shorter than the 20mm, as eye relief becomes a problem. I used a 30mm as my wide-field EP for ages and it gave very respectable views.

It is a shame, that, as the eye-relief of my Vixen NPL 6mm is very tight, yet I can use it well enough, and the views rival that through my BGO 6mm.

Of the BST "StarGuider" line, I'd suggest the 12mm(83x) and 8mm(125x).  A quality 2x barlow, the Antares 2x for example, is also suggested, to be combined with the BST 12mm(167x) and 8mm(250x); for a useful range of powers.

Who will be collimating the Newtonian, at f/5?

• Like 1