Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Curious about mount wedge

Hi, I tried to find out how a wedge works. My new (one and only) telescope is a Celestron Nexstar 8 SE so I’ve been looking at all the gadgets available for it. I came across the Celestron Wedge on FLO so thought I would try to find out what it does. I’m trying to learn as much as I can while the Scottish weather keeps me indoors so plenty of study time 🥴! Anyway, apart from wedges for sale I haven’t found anything that might help me understand this gadget; how useful is it and can the £300 (ish) price be justified?

regards, Geo 

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Hi

Are you thinking out imaging with your 8SE? You could image the planets and Moon with your 8SE in altaz mode and even DSO are possible if working within the capabilities of the mount. 

Thanks for your reply. Yes I thought I would give imaging a go but I really don’t think I have enough knowledge/experience just yet. I bought a DSLR thinking it would be suitable, I also bought a T adapter so I can connect it to the scope but I’ve been advised that this set up for my scope isn’t ideal. Hence the research and questions about stuff I know nothing about. My ultimate goal is to get some nice photos of the planets and maybe some DSO. As you will be able to tell I’m very new to the hobby but what I’ve done so far has me hooked, like many people my first view of Saturn took my breath away and being able to see the moons of Jupiter was fantastic. I haven’t really had much time with the scope because the weather here in Scotland is living up to its reputation but I’ll stay patient 😊,

I don't know what DSLR you have but this might be an interesting read

For planets it's capturing videos with many frames and then using software to cherry pick the best frames with the atmosphere was still and stacking then.

https://www.astropix.com/html/equipment/canon_one_to_one_pixel_resolution.html

Registax

Astrostakkert

Fire DSO you can work with the limitations of altaz keeping exposures within the limits of field rotation showing and startrails but you'll still get usable data stick with trying first bright targets. There's a imaging with a none EQ mount

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge

DSS deep sky stacker

SIRIL

and there's an EVVA section for imaging with short exposures.

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/287-discussions-eeva-equipment/

I think though thay might be using astro cameras and say sharpcap

Have a go with what you have

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Seoras said:

might help me understand this gadget

Your existing mount operates in altitude (up down) and azimuth (left right). The wedge would be set at an angle (or the difference) between your current latitude and 90 degrees. Your alt az mount then attaches to the wedge and the azimuth axis will then become your right ascension (ra) axis and your altitude becomes declination. Your mount now works in equatorial mode so your RA tracking counteracts the rotation of the earth keeping a target in the centre of view for long exposure photography.

That's the general overview of it. I personally don't have experience with these bits having my own equatorial equipment but the process is generally the same having converted my skywatcher azgti for EQ mode use.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Forget the Celestron wedge. Your 8SE outfit is primarily intended as a (portable) visual scope.  It can also be used for planetary imaging with its alt-az mount, but it is better to use a dedicated planetary imaging astro camera.  With patience, it is possible to get good results. The mount is really not suitable for long exposure deep space imaging.

It is possible to re-mount the optical tube on an equatorial mount (at considerable expense) and use it for deep-space imaging of smaller objects, but this is not really an exercise for beginners.

The consensus among people who have actually tried imaging with a wedge is that it is a bad idea, and it is better to use an equatorial mount, which gives a superior performance and is easier to polar align.

• Like 1