NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars, 2022-11-18

astroavani

Unfortunately this year Mars will not rise more than 35º in my location, so to be able to get a little detail only when the seeing helps like tonight.
Valles Marineris is clearly visible in the photo as well as Acidalia Planitia and Chryse Planitia.
Nilokeras Fossa stood out easily but the 3 volcanoes of Tharsis that should be easily visible in better conditions are not noticeable which denotes the difficulty in getting good photos at such low altitude.
http://pvol2.ehu.eus/pvolimages/mars/mars2022-11-18_05-12-40__asoares.png

x2.png

• Like 10

On 20/11/2022 at 08:47, geoflewis said:

Excellent images for just 35 degree elevation Avani.

Thanks friend Geof, but it's not easy at this altitude, and the north is the worst of my 4 sides, there are some companies to that side that release a lot of heat in the atmosphere, increasing the turbulence even more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, astroavani said:

Thanks friend Geof, but it's not easy at this altitude, and the north is the worst of my 4 sides, there are some companies to that side that release a lot of heat in the atmosphere, increasing the turbulence even more.

Believe me Avani, I and everyone doing planetary imaging from the UK, very well understand the challenges of imaging the planets when they are at low elevations 😖. Even now Jupiter is only 35° for me and Saturn, barely above 20° elevation and doesn't get to a good altidude for another 5 or 6 years - I may be too old then. At least we have Mars above 50° this year and next year Jupiter will be similar, so the worm is definitely turning for us in the high northern hemisphere latitudes....🤞

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1