Narrowband

One of those chairs...

ollypenrice

I'm converting one observatory from imaging to visual, though it's a bit small for visual. Still, with the classic observatory chair and a rotating focuser you can observe in all directions and at all elevations. It is not possible to get behind the telescope on the west side - but you don't need to. By rotating the focuser you can sit at right angles to the scope. This chair can go right down to the ground or high enough for children to use when observing at low altitudes, so no parts of the sky are excluded.

I made this chair about 16 years ago, in a larger and all-steel format, to live outside and be used with a long refractor we had. For many years it's been relegated to serving as a stand for our mailbox but I re-used the oblong steel main frame and cut off the rest, replacing those parts with smaller wooden ones. I just need to find a cushion wand we're good to go.

Medium high.

420248851_Cairmedium.thumb.jpg.be2e78c7332c8a5526d31aeee37856f1.jpg

Low but can go lower.

857723928_Obsychairlow..jpg.4e1eabaa2a0c36ec9c49623c5bf58a2a.jpg

Olly

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Looking good Olly!  Did you sort out a solution for piggybacking the frac?  Meade do a bespoke "Mini Dovetail"  (which I use to do the same with my 10" Meade)  although the 14" version it looks somewhat disproportionately expensive 

Dave

I've put this notion on 'hold' for the moment, Dave. The offset between focusers would be considerable so it isn't clear that an observer would be able to move easily between eyepieces. If that weren't possible there would be little point in having the small scope on the same mount.

Olly

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I've put this notion on 'hold' for the moment, Dave. The offset between focusers would be considerable so it isn't clear that an observer would be able to move easily between eyepieces. If that weren't possible there would be little point in having the small scope on the same mount.

Olly

You just need to find some EPs with 2ft of eye relief :) 

• 2 weeks later...