Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using a regulated dc adaptor for canon dslr

studdedsole

I have a spare regulated dc power supply 12v input with 1.5v to 12v dc output. If I rip out the inside of a canon BP511 battery and connect +ve and -ve terminals of the "slave" battery to the regulated output at 7.5v, will this power a canon dslr from a 12v power tank in the field?

Anyone tried this with success?

yes...

Double and indeed triple check the voltage and polarity first though... and make sure you bring the wire out the right place on the "dummy" battery as it need to come out through the little rubber plug - the battery cover needs to be closed properly for the camera to switch on.

If you check a fully charged battery straight off the charger its normally around 8.0 - 8.1V at 7.4V the camera may report low battery 7.5V gives half battery indication on my 1000D

Peter...

Thanks Peter - I trawled the web on this and couldn't find any info on anyone who had tried it, which was a big surprise given the short (around 2hrs in my experience) run time for the standard 1500mAh repaceable battery at low temp (2deg C).

Tony

Astronomiser make these adapters for Canon (and maybe other makes), I have one.

They work really well, I guess that mine runs at around the 7.5v as it always shows the battery half full.

As Peter says, be very carefull that you've everything right before you plug it in!

Cheers

Ant

should do the job then... Unless it's a 20D/ 30D/ 40D or 50D which require ~12W - even then it might work. I've seen a lot of variation in the power requirements of these cameras - sometimes (very rarely) as high as 15W and as low as 8W.

Archived