NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rarely imaged area near Sh2-140

gorann

Sunday night I aimed my dual-RASA rig at an area south-east of Sh2-140 that looked quite interesting on Aladin Sky Atlas but still seems to be very rarely imaged.

It contains many interesting features including long red filaments. Could they be bow shocks of a supernova remnant? Any suggestions?

Since the spectral widths of the NBZ dual-band filter is rather broad I am not sure which of the blue areas are Oiii or blue reflection nebulosity.

So, two RASA8 with ASI2600MC sitting on a Mesu 200. IDAS NBZ filter. 240 x 4 minutes = 16 hours. Processed in PI and PS, including Star XTerminator to allow more stretch of the nebulosity.

Cheers, Göran

20221016-17 Sh2-140 RASA1+2 PS11smallSign.jpg

Revised version:

747344752_20221016-17Sh2-140RASA12PS15smallSign.thumb.jpg.ae533a53cdb1326399dcd26609e67065.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 14.38.50.png

Edited by gorann
  • Like 10

Very nice!  They do look like shockwaves don't they? I'm sure someone will know. By co-incidence I shot this area with my RASA last night, so will have a similar field covered, maybe a bit wider (2 panel mosaic). Mine was broadband, mostly before the moon came up, so I should be able to tell whether those areas are reflection or OIII (they look more like reflection to me?). Will report back later!

10 minutes ago, Fegato said:

Very nice!  They do look like shockwaves don't they? I'm sure someone will know. By co-incidence I shot this area with my RASA last night, so will have a similar field covered, maybe a bit wider (2 panel mosaic). Mine was broadband, mostly before the moon came up, so I should be able to tell whether those areas are reflection or OIII (they look more like reflection to me?). Will report back later!

Thanks Robin! Please keep us updated on what you find.

Here's my effort, slightly different fov obviously. Quite a bit of dust around, and I suspect the area to the left of Sh2-140 (in my image, below in yours) is reflection?  It's not too easy to be sure, as it's quite small, and my star reduction and subsequent stretching leaves some largish halos on the stars. The larger area of blue to the left in your image is slightly lost off the edge in mine at the top. There is some white stuff there, so could be reflection? Strange how much blue you've pulled out though, so maybe there is OIII going on. 

Sh2-140 221017 DI1 stretch.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Fegato said:

Here's my effort, slightly different fov obviously. Quite a bit of dust around, and I suspect the area to the left of Sh2-140 (in my image, below in yours) is reflection?  It's not too easy to be sure, as it's quite small, and my star reduction and subsequent stretching leaves some largish halos on the stars. The larger area of blue to the left in your image is slightly lost off the edge in mine at the top. There is some white stuff there, so could be reflection? Strange how much blue you've pulled out though, so maybe there is OIII going on. 

Sh2-140 221017 DI1 stretch.jpg

Very interesting comparison Robin! Did you try starless processing for the image (Star XTerminator or StarNet2)?

Yes, I used StarXterminator.  However, I usually like my stars to be reasonably prominent, particularly in broadband images like this, so they are still quite well stretched here.

PS I think the little reflection nebula to the left is catalogued as LBN 500, according to Annotate in Pixinsight?

4 minutes ago, Fegato said:

Yes, I used StarXterminator.  However, I usually like my stars to be reasonably prominent, particularly in broadband images like this, so they are still quite well stretched here.

PS I think the little reflection nebula to the left is catalogued as LBN 500, according to Annotate in Pixinsight?

Yes, I also exect that to be the case. It is just a bit off in the annotation. I often see that with small LDNs and LBNs. I assume Lynds did not possess as exact pointing aids as we have now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MartinB said:

Blimey Goran, that's not easy on the eye but the reflection nebulosity comes through very nicely.

Thanks Martin! I agree that the red is a quite overwhelming and I fought to suppress it, which was not easy. However, I now posted a revision with an new effort to tame the red and to tweak it a bit towards yellow, which I liked better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/10/2022 at 16:16, MartinB said:

Blimey Goran, that's not easy on the eye but the reflection nebulosity comes through very nicely.

Martin, I now made a more serious attempt to tame the red that had clearly gone quite a bit over the top, and thereby also increasing the dynamic range of the image. I also now realized I could post it to the SGL challenge😁.

Cheers, Göran

20221016-17 Sh2-140 RASA1+2 PS21smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, MartinB said:

Ah yes, lovely.  I can take my sun glasses off now!  That has a much greater sense of depth

27 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Wow. Putting my sunglasses on for this one!  Very nice details and the blue ares look natural.  

Thanks a lot Martin and Rodd, much appreciated!