Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Something better than 130PDS

Hi guys,

I been imaging with 130PDS for a while and found it nice beginner scope, but I want to move towards larger aperture and better focuser (by default).

Any suggestions in around £900?

In ideal, new scope should still fit on old NEQ6, so full set up should be around to 17-18kg with mono cam bundle (ASI1600 + EFW7 + EAF, 

in worst case scenario, I can get rid of guider scope and switch to AOG , it is minus around 1kg).

My dream would be EdgeHD 9.25 or even larger :) but my wallet is not from rubber, so will have to stay with the cheaper options. Plus, I like star spikes.

Thinking of SW quattro.... but damn... if the same focuser is used as on 130PDS... no no no... not the option for me.

maybe StellaLyra 8" f/12 M-LRS Classical Cassegrain Telescope OTA | First Light Optics ?

but I do not like Cassegrain stars... they are much "fatter" than Newtonian (if I am not mistaken, as I tried to check on flickr and astrobin and have no direct experience).

So 10" Newtonian, or around 8" a bit more expensive option...

P.S.

Around F5-F7... do not forget, - I sit on SW NEQ6 with some rust on it... :)

Edited by RolandKol

55 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Hi guys,

I been imaging with 130PDS for a while and found it nice beginner scope, but I want to move towards larger aperture and better focuser (by default).

Any suggestions in around £900?

In ideal, new scope should still fit on old NEQ6, so full set up should be around to 17-18kg with mono cam bundle (ASI1600 + EFW7 + EAF, 

in worst case scenario, I can get rid of guider scope and switch to AOG , it is minus around 1kg).

My dream would be EdgeHD 9.25 or even larger :) but my wallet is not from rubber, so will have to stay with the cheaper options. Plus, I like star spikes.

Thinking of SW quattro.... but damn... if the same focuser is used as on 130PDS... no no no... not the option for me.

maybe StellaLyra 8" f/12 M-LRS Classical Cassegrain Telescope OTA | First Light Optics ?

but I do not like Cassegrain stars... they are much "fatter" than Newtonian (if I am not mistaken, as I tried to check on flickr and astrobin and have no direct experience).

So 10" Newtonian, or around 8" a bit more expensive option...

P.S.

Around F5-F7... do not forget, - I sit on SW NEQ6 with some rust on it... :)

you dont really say what you want to use it for?

9 hours ago, Adam J said:

you dont really say what you want to use it for?

My oldie NEQ6 mount is kinda limited to Nebulas and Larger Galaxies... Thats's why I wrote F5-F7 range... (maybe F4 also... kinda have tools for collimation) Of Couse, F10 with reducer will do. I doubt I would manage to Guide native F10 + large Aperture properly.

In best case scenario I have around 0.4" Total guiding error on PHD.