NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

sky-watcher explorer 150p vs sky-watcher evostar 120

I can get an evostar 120 refractor for $100 more than an explorer 150p, mount included for both. Which would be preferred? I believe the 120 refractor is said to be about equal to the 150 reflector in light capture due to the secondary mirror on the reflector, but how bad is the CA on the evostar? The benefits with the evostar are larger possible magnification and also it is capable of taking 2" eyepieces. They seem to be about same weight with the evostar being longer and explorer being more bulky around. Is this down to personal preference at this point?

Starting off I will be focused on planets/lunar exploration. Transportability in vehicle and walking about 5min to good viewing site are key so I don't want to go for a full size dobsonian.

Edited by dybz

I honestly don’t know about the CA in that refractor but I have been very very happy with my 4” ED refractor for moon and planets and prefer it to the 150P Newt visually. It would also be a better bet if you were regularly transporting it in my opinion. Just need someone to comment on how annoying the CA is I guess. 

Edited by RobertI

2 hours ago, Ian McCallum said:

You can see some of the CA on these images taken with my SW Evostar 120 achromat.  Coming from a SW 200P Dobsonian, it was quite noticeable.

Jup_214208_lapl5_ap14.png.eb4d78d188215c194a05aa7d0332f556.png367645578_Jup_214208_Jupiter_lapl4_ap17_Drizzle30versionA.png.ac1102bbbb785fd0cb40cfc8df2f6ffd.pngJup_214208_Jupiter_lapl4_ap17_Drizzle30.png.14235ab6c801ab65d4bac128fbb7130c.png20220111_123901.thumb.jpg.f1e715617f2d8fc4e9822c1741bb5149.jpg

Have you tried the semi apo filter or the contrast booster filter? This helped a great deal in eliminating the CA

Big refractor fan here saying go with the Newtonian reflector. If it was an ED/Apo I would say go with the refractor. Either that or save up for one of the ED scopes your side of the pond, an Astro Tech perhaps. The Newtonian will have the eyepiece at a better height and no CA. That said you get diffraction spikes with a reflector 

Edited by Carl Au

28 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Have you tried the semi apo filter or the contrast booster filter? This helped a great deal in eliminating the CA

I've been using a Wratten #8 filter for that, as the filter you mentioned are rather expensive and hard to get, at the moment.

Edited by Ian McCallum

Thanks all. I ended up going with a Sky-Watcher Skymax 127 after realizing it's the same price after shipping as the Explorer 150p. After a bit more digging I had ruled out the Evostar 120 due to its size and the comments here on CA. Portability is high on my priority list and this will be used primarily for planet/moon viewing so the extra focal length and no CA on the 127 is nice even at a slight loss of light gathering. Thanks everyone for the replies. 

• Like 2