NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter& Io from 2nd Oct 12" Lx200

Magnum

Jupiter and Io from 11:37pm on Oct 2nd, seeing was fair to begin with then deteriorated, bit disappointed in this one compared to my last session, only he first capture was any good so didnt bother to derogate the rest.

Meade 12" LX200GPS + GSO 2.5x Apo Barlow @ f23

QHY462C, 5ms, Gain 300, 195 fps, histogram at 70%

Single 90 sec capture, best 35% of 17,000 frames. 

2022-10-02-2237_3_lapl5_ap82 copy.jpg

• Like 7

Nice image, strange how the image of Io appears smaller and elongated compared to its larger round shadow.

I found that the disc of Io (as opposed to its shadow) was easy to see when near the limb of the Jovian disc, but became difficult as it moved further onto the Jovian disc.

John 

13 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Jupiter and Io from 11:37pm on Oct 2nd, seeing was fair to begin with then deteriorated, bit disappointed in this one compared to my last session, only he first capture was any good so didnt bother to derogate the rest.

Meade 12" LX200GPS + GSO 2.5x Apo Barlow @ f23

QHY462C, 5ms, Gain 300, 195 fps, histogram at 70%

Single 90 sec capture, best 35% of 17,000 frames. 

2022-10-02-2237_3_lapl5_ap82 copy.jpg

Nice result Lee love the detail on the SEB. Looks like Jupiter has teeth. These things happen with it not improving later. I have had it happen. larger scopes are also more thermally affected by little changes. so, the price you pay for greater resolution I am afraid.  Its why I won't be selling my Newtonian. Though my daughter will when i peg it. On for sale section. my name. I aint kidding either. And no that's not a hint. I aint going just yet, I hope?  I remember what the 300p was like. And larger optics can be more challenging with a slightly blurrier rendition. unless everything is perfect. And then they really deliver. It's just something you have to learn to battle with I found. But its a good result Lee especially that SEB. Though personally i would capture longer and cherry pick more

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

Nice image, strange how the image of Io appears smaller and elongated compared to its larger round shadow.

I found that the disc of Io (as opposed to its shadow) was easy to see when near the limb of the Jovian disc, but became difficult as it moved further onto the Jovian disc.

John 

If you look on Neils image thread there is an explanation, as I thought I had done something wrong but everyones image from that night looks the same.

Lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Lovely image !

Io being misshapen is most likely stacking induced.

I thought that too to begin with but If you look at the last few images on here from that night we are all getting the same shape, and Neils explanation that its a contrast effect due to the poles of the moon being darker than the planet behind.

looking on sky safari, IO is indeed much darker at the poles especially the north so I think Neil’s explanation is spot on, we were only capturing the equatorial region of the moon the rest was lost due to being similar contrast as the planet.

EAD55FD4-E79B-47AD-AFF2-CC082B5A2C32.png

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Nice result Lee love the detail on the SEB. Looks like Jupiter has teeth. These things happen with it not improving later. I have had it happen. larger scopes are also more thermally affected by little changes. so, the price you pay for greater resolution I am afraid.  Its why I won't be selling my Newtonian. Though my daughter will when i peg it. On for sale section. my name. I aint kidding either. And no that's not a hint. I aint going just yet, I hope?  I remember what the 300p was like. And larger optics can be more challenging with a slightly blurrier rendition. unless everything is perfect. And then they really deliver. It's just something you have to learn to battle with I found. But its a good result Lee especially that SEB. Though personally i would capture longer and cherry pick more

Cheers Neil, Yes I normally do 5-7 captures if I can then derogate them, but all the others that session looked so much worse so dont think combining them would have improved it unfortunately.