NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Snapshots of Io transiting Jupiter (2nd & 3rd October 2022)

Kon

It seems we all had good skies last night looking at the posted images on Io's transit across Jupiter. I shot at roughly 30min intervals to capture its movement across Jupiter's surface. I think the 2nd image may be my best Jupiter one; as we are having predicted cloudy nights, I want to reprocess these data and report back. It is also the sharpest of the there captures as seeing was the best at that moment. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate, UV/IR cut filter.

2230 UTC

image.png.2811d5034468e71621c66e6071acb8e0.png

2315 UTC

image.png.b2353992933f8107265679d86c7fc208.png

2340 UTC

image.png.527e2ff680da5b3b5d6a3da8a663ff96.png

• Like 12

Hope you dont mind i cleaned up the prismatic effects. Colour noise. it will reduce colour a bit. But you lose the rainbow effect

image.png.b2353992933f8107265679d86c7fc208.png kon.png 100.png

Closer look. 

image.png.b2353992933f8107265679d86c7fc208.png kon.png

Getting this quality undriven takes skill. I am getting a 12" dob at some point. before i can get drives. If you don't mind i might pm you when i have it.  for some tips on trying it. I will get either a new mount or EQ platform but until then.  i know the basics. how to drift and such. But your skilled at it now so tips might help

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Second image best from you so far i think. Very nice. the undriven dob planetary king i think

Thanks, it means a lot coming from one of the best imagers here.

6 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Hope you dont mind i cleaned up the prismatic effects. Colour noise. it will reduce colour a bit. But you lose the rainbow effect

Closer look. 

Getting this quality undriven takes skill. I am getting a 12" dob at some point. before i can get drives. If you don't mind i might pm you when i have it.  for some tips on trying it. I will get either a new mount or EQ platform but until then.  i know the basics. how to drift and such. But your skilled at it now so tips might help

That looks great. I tried to do the same with removing colour noise and it is a fine balance between going back to pre-saturation colours and keeping some of it (I need to have a play).  The second image is that just standard resize or somehting more fancy?

I am more than happy to try give you some tips from what I have learned including changes in my capture settings. Looking forward to see what you can produce with a 12".

I think that the fairly good seeing with the shadow helped me to get the focus close enough (I use the black disk as primary focus point but I also paid attention to Jupiter's bands).

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks, it means a lot coming from one of the best imagers here.

That looks great. I tried to do the same with removing colour noise and it is a fine balance between going back to pre-saturation colours and keeping some of it (I need to have a play).  The second image is that just standard resize or somehting more fancy?

I am more than happy to try give you some tips from what I have learned including changes in my capture settings. Looking forward to see what you can produce with a 12".

I think that the fairly good seeing with the shadow helped me to get the focus close enough (I use the black disk as primary focus point but I also paid attention to Jupiter's bands).

Your exactly right it is a fine balance removing colour noise. and losing benefit of saturation. Spot on remark that. After removal I upped the saturation again just a touch. increased green channel + 2 ( just looked right ) Colour noise reduction also softens the image. So yes, right again. I played around doing slight sharpening on the image once resized. and colour noise had been performed. You have a good eye Kon you knew I had done something.

I think the takeaway is. trying to get less prism effects. There was a lot here kon. especially around the moon shadow. But your right you dont get something for nothing. It does indeed take it back to pre saturation  levels ( or worse )  What i do is mess with the colour noise reduction level meters on image analyzer. removing the colour noise 

---With as little of a setting as I can get away with---

By not hitting it hard. ( only just enough ) I watch both the prism reduction. And the saturation reduction. Often the balance you mention can be struck. You will lose a bit of saturation. But the benefit of no prism effect speaks for itself. I also do selective removal of colour noise in certain areas. The moon shadow for example took a lot, to rid of the red prism effect on the edge. So rather than doing the whole globe ( and losing all colour )  I put a circle around the shadow. and just did that. Hitting it hard. but only on the shadow. 

Where it needed it most. 

Anyway, it's just finer things. As I said. to get this level of quality undriven. is phenomenal. you will put mount manufacturers out of business. At this rate. How many other undriven shots do we see on here. of this quality ? 

All i can hear is the wind blowing. Top stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Your exactly right it is a fine balance removing colour noise. and losing benefit of saturation. Spot on remark that. After removal I upped the saturation again just a touch. increased green channel + 2 ( just looked right ) Colour noise reduction also softens the image. So yes, right again. I played around doing slight sharpening on the image once resized. and colour noise had been performed. You have a good eye Kon you knew I had done something.

I think the takeaway is. trying to get less prism effects. There was a lot here kon. especially around the moon shadow. But your right you dont get something for nothing. It does indeed take it back to pre saturation  levels ( or worse )  What i do is mess with the colour noise reduction level meters on image analyzer. removing the colour noise 

---With as little of a setting as I can get away with---

By not hitting it hard. ( only just enough ) I watch both the prism reduction. And the saturation reduction. Often the balance you mention can be struck. You will lose a bit of saturation. But the benefit of no prism effect speaks for itself. I also do selective removal of colour noise in certain areas. The moon shadow for example took a lot, to rid of the red prism effect on the edge. So rather than doing the whole globe ( and losing all colour )  I put a circle around the shadow. and just did that. Hitting it hard. but only on the shadow. 

Where it needed it most. 

Anyway, it's just finer things. As I said. to get this level of quality undriven. is phenomenal. you will put mount manufacturers out of business. At this rate. How many other undriven shots do we see on here. of this quality ? 

All i can hear is the wind blowing. Top stuff

Thanks for the additional tips on the colour noise/saturation; great tip on also focusing on Io shadow alone (I did give me a headache). I definitely want to revisit the capture (once time permits) and see if I can improve the processing.

I think the forum discussion  and inputs I had a few weeks ago with my other data did help a lot to manage this more softly in the wavelets and it is much nicer; I could push the wavelets/sharpenning and get more details out of this image but it started looking less attractive. I learn quite a lot from all the experts here. I think I am 90% happy with my capture procedure (but I am sure there is room for improvement). 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks for the additional tips on the colour noise/saturation; great tip on also focusing on Io shadow alone (I did give me a headache). I definitely want to revisit the capture (once time permits) and see if I can improve the processing.

I think the forum discussion  and inputs I had a few weeks ago with my other data did help a lot to manage this more softly in the wavelets and it is much nicer; I could push the wavelets/sharpenning and get more details out of this image but it started looking less attractive. I learn quite a lot from all the experts here. I think I am 90% happy with my capture procedure (but I am sure there is room for improvement). 

Always is Kon. Was just talking to Geoff about stuff i am not 100|% on.  I tend to learn what I need to learn. So, when something new is needed. of course. Need to brush up on it. You never stop learning really. 

• Like 2