Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time for a new Dark Library?

Jamgood

I'm probably answering my own question here but when do you know it is time to create a new Dark Library?

I'm starting to see things like this creeping in to my lights and they're still there in the final stacks. 

20220930_083321.jpg.8a6874aae61a89ea1a420363b99c3aa4.jpg

I'm going to make a new Dark Library over the next couple of days and see if they rectify the issue.

Anyone seen this before and know the cure?

TIA

46 minutes ago, andrew s said:

It would help to know what camera, processing  etc. Regards Andrew 

Camera info is in the signature along with everything else. 294MC Pro. Astro Pixel Processor is use for stacking.

This is one of a few strange shapes that appear in my light frames. Some are red, some blue, some green. All in groups like the one above.

I've not long noticed them and not looked in darks and flats to see if they are in there as well. I look soon as I get chance.

Just strange random pattterns make me think it's not any single pixel issue. I've search for other similar issues but cannot find anything. 

I would do the research you propose and then ask  on the ASI forum. It may be a known issue. If it occurs randomly but it regular patterns as you say I doubt new flats will fix it.

Regards Andrew 

PS on my tablet I don't see a signature. 

Edited by andrew s

9 minutes ago, andrew s said:

PS on my tablet I don't see a signature. 

Never thought of that. 👍

In my light frames I'm only seeing one pixel in each of the areas.  Nothing in my Flats and cannot really tell in dark files.  I think the pattern maybe being created by the dithering between subs which would make sense in my mind.  

I'll create a new set of Dark Frames this evening and try them out. 

I think darks are greatly over-rated, even with my old-school Atik 11000 CCD whose darks looked like a snow storm. If you have amp glow then, yes, you will certainly need them but, if you don't, it might be worth trying hot pixel filtration when stacking and, maybe, a bad pixel map. Don't be persuaded that darks are compulsory. Do your own testing. When I did that I stopped using them - as many others have done. For example, no darks went into this:

847807236_M42WIDEWITHHaweb.thumb.jpg.8c431e9464fcb8fb9545cf73126ad7a2.jpg

Olly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I think darks are greatly over-rated, even with my old-school Atik 11000 CCD whose darks looked like a snow storm. If you have amp glow then, yes, you will certainly need them but, if you don't, it might be worth trying hot pixel filtration when stacking and, maybe, a bad pixel map. Don't be persuaded that darks are compulsory. Do your own testing. When I did that I stopped using them - as many others have done. 

Olly

I need Darks for the amp glow on the 294MC Pro. Unless there is another way? Do Dark Flats remove it? I've never tried without Darks.

APP does create a Bad Pixel Map but these pixels don't get removed. On the new Darks I'm making now, I can clearly see 5 really bright pixels. 2 red, 2 green and 1 blue. Would they be classed as Hot Pixels rather than Dead. I'm not very clued up in these things.