Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW SCOPE!! WHAT TO VIEW!??! :D

WOoHoO!! I've just picked up my new (well, 2nd hand, but still with original box, bubblewrap, lense covers, manuals, software etc etc) AstroMaster130 :rolleyes::hello2:;)!

Up until now, I've been using an Heirloom scope that my Grandad bought in about 1940, which has been fine for clusters, splitting a few double stars, the Orion Nebula etc etc, but I wanted MORE hence the new purchase.

Can anyone give me a small list of the easier DSO's to aim for next time I've got clear skies? I'm fascinated by nebulas and galaxies, so if anyone can let me know the easiest ones to spot, I'd be grateful!

Also, blumming typical that last night I had 4hrs of CRYSTAL clear skies, and today when I pick up my scope, I've got 100% cloud cover and it looks to be this way for the next 72hrs minimum! ;)

Thanks for both the replies! I'm desperately lookin outside to see if the cloud's gonna clear enough for me to have a quick viewing before leaving for tonights gig, doesn't look hopeful tho! Perhaps when I get home I'll be in luck...but I'm not holding my breath! lol!

If anyone has anything more to add, then feel free! ;)

Excellent! Thanks for all the replies!

I couldn't believe my luck when I got back last night to clear, crisp skies ;) I managed to get some viewing, but as it was pitch dark and I still haven't quite worked out how to use the EQ mount properly I didn't get the best out of my scope!

I managed to find some clusters, and resolve some very faint stars (couldn't tell you which ones tho!) but I'm hoping (lots of crossed everything, and tapping on all the wood in the house!) that I'll get to spy the Orion Neb and pleiades soon, to really get to grips with this bucket :rolleyes:

Archived