NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Micro Four Thirds camera for Milky Way stuff.

the lemming

I have a GH6, which is great for video work but very poor at night time astro photography. It produces a shocking amount of Hot Pixels that are hard to eliminate in post production.

If I was to get a different MFT camera primarily for night time shots such as the Milky Way, which models would produce the least Hot Pixels?

I would prefer to stick with Micro Four Thirds as I have a lot of excellent glass that are f2 or faster.

And if I was to get a Full Frame camera for astro images what older gen, second hand, cameras are worth considering please.

This is to keep costs down as its a hobby that happens in winter months with clear sky's. 😀

My climbing kit greatly exceeds my talent much in the same way my 130p exceeds my astronomy skills.

Maybe not quite the same consequences🤣

Hot pixels are difficult to avoid really - the best option is dithering. If you use a decent stacking algorithm you should be able to negate the hot pixels though.

Before writing it off as no use, try using "Pixel Refresh" in the settings menu (the spanner symbol). My G2 and G9 both have that, so I'd assume the GH6 has it too. Worth a try!

Haven't noticed hot pixels on mine but I don't use them "in anger" for astro.

EDIT:  I found this, might be of interest (not your camera but similar):

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/lumix-g9-for-milky-way.100248/

Edited by wulfrun
added link

16 hours ago, wulfrun said:

Before writing it off as no use, try using "Pixel Refresh" in the settings menu (the spanner symbol). 

EDIT:  I found this, might be of interest (not your camera but similar):

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/lumix-g9-for-milky-way.100248/

I’ve tried pixel refresh many times and it does not make a jot of difference, sorry.

as for the G9, this camera is on my wish list. It may be old but it is still an excellent Stills camera.

1 hour ago, the lemming said:

I’ve tried pixel refresh many times and it does not make a jot of difference, sorry.

as for the G9, this camera is on my wish list. It may be old but it is still an excellent Stills camera.

Fair play, not everyone is aware of the function so I thought it was worth pointing out. I agree the G9 is pretty competent, I've had mine 18 months or so and I really like it. It does also do decent video, although lacking the more advanced GH5/6 features and also having time limits.

On 25/09/2022 at 13:59, the lemming said:

If I was to get a different MFT camera primarily for night time shots such as the Milky Way, which models would produce the least Hot Pixels?

I would prefer to stick with Micro Four Thirds as I have a lot of excellent glass that are f2 or faster.

For MFT Astrophotography, you can check Ben's channel: The Narrowband Channel - YouTube

In the video below he gets deep in new MFT sensor and camera tech. Bit long but worth a watch:

6 hours ago, the lemming said:

What software would you recommend for stacking please?

Thinking about it, the rejection only works with dithering. However, even if you could manually dither a little, even in one axis it would allow the rejection to work. Personally I use Astro Pixel Processor but it's quite costly. 

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, fwm891 said:

Go to the MPB website. There are loads of used Nikon, Canon and other makes there. From about £25 upwards for APS sized chips. More if you want to go for full frame. Lenses too. No affiliation etc...

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk

I will second MPB and add the following:

https://www.parkcameras.com/

https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/09/2022 at 12:59, the lemming said:

I have a GH6, which is great for video work but very poor at night time astro photography. It produces a shocking amount of Hot Pixels that are hard to eliminate in post production.

And if I was to get a Full Frame camera for astro images what older gen, second hand, cameras are worth considering please.

This is to keep costs down as its a hobby that happens in winter months with clear sky's. 😀

Just in case anybody is interested, I bought a second-hand Panasonic G9 from MPB.com and took a punt on night time photography.

This is my first test shot with a 7.5mm lens at 20 seconds ISO 800. I chickened out and used Noise Reduction. I am staggered at how little noise there was and how well the camera performed at increasing exposure in post production.

I am very happy and have restored my faith in Micro Four Thirds. I'm now looking forward to trying to get the Milky Way now. And I will never do any more night time stuff with my GH 6 camera.

What do you think of my test shot?

Am I being an over eager parent or does the G9 have potential?

Its Orion, Mars and Paladies in the shot.

Orion from Trough Bowland

• Like 1