ic63

alacant

Hi everyone

Not sure if a UHC filter was the right choice for this. It does however seem  to have controled haze from last night's gibbous moon. Gave up trying to do anything with the stars. The more you try, the more edited it looks. 

Anyway, thanks for looking and do please post your DSLR experiences with this target. Thinking it maybe worth another go without filters.

eos700d + gso203 ~5h @ ISO800: siril 1.1.0 git, st 1.8.525-2

337234505_1-navi(1).thumb.jpg.e15389c4da4555c1b7c65346058da64f.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, alacant said:

The more you try, the more edited it looks. 

I'm here for the astronomy (although nowadays I mostly observe via imaging). So I like stars and don't fully understand the push for the oppression of stars! Let the stars be stars I say!

Those big diffraction spikes are something to behold :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paul M said:

Let the stars be stars

14 hours ago, carastro said:

It makes a nice change these days to see an image that has not had most of the stars taken away.

Thanks for your comments. We couldn't agree more.

Much good data is wasted by the current trend of star removal. This seems to go hand in hand with over-processing. Just because current apps have myriad of try-it-and-hope-for-the-best type modules, doesn't imply obligation to use them all. By way of example, 'de-noise' (seemingly present in all astronomical image processing apps) is one of the main culprits. Especially when applied at maximum volume to the whole image. 

Stars yield texture and interest. We spend €thousands to enable us to take images of the night sky, then remove one of the most interesting components!

Disclaimer: but hey, we're here to have fun, and make art. If at the end of it, you're satisfied, that's all that counts. One visitor was so delighted to see his mount finally respond to guiding corrections that he spent all night just looking at the graph. One man's satisfaction is another... etc.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
ortografía spell
  • Like 2