Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Request for research project

MJ7

Hi, I am in the final year of my A levels in the UK, studying four A levels including Maths and Physics.
I am applying to study physics with astrophysics at university next year and I am looking to get some experience in the subject by getting involved in some research or a citizen science project in my spare time. 
I have had some experience this year with a university astrophysics team on a taster week where amongst other things we tracked the movement of Jupiter’s Great Red Spot.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for organisations I could contact, or projects I could get involved with? 

Thanks,

Mia

Hi @MJ7 / Mia and welocme to SGL. :hello2:

I am not going to be of much help, but have you considered contacting, visiting or joining a local astronomy society or club.
Most big towns and cities are likely to be of assistance and help with your project.

• Like 1

Mia, just before the school summer holidays I attended a CPD event "Plates for Education". It was delivered by staff from University of St Andrews Physics/Astronomy department on behalf of the SLOAN Digital Sky Survey project.  We were given for use in school one of the metal discs (plates) used in the SLOAN Digital Sky Survey. The plates, drilled with holes to hold fibre optics,  provided a location and positioning system for the fibre optics used to take the spectroscopy survey.  We were also given access to software; spectral data from the sky survey database. The aim was to give us ideas on how to use the plates to introduce practical Astronomy activity into our Physics curriculum.  I wonder if perhaps you could contact the Plates for Education team  maybe with a view of either using some of their data or perhaps offering to design some lesson content which could be used with senior classes.  You would of course need to make sure that there would be sufficient depth to satisfy the requirements of your own course and the certificate provider; your teachers should be able to advise on that.  Anyway here is a link that may help.  Good luck with whatever you chose to do. 

https://voyages.sdss.org/for-educators/ground-control/sdss-plates-for-education/

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MJ7 said:

Thanks for all your great suggestions I’ll definitely be doing some of those citizen science projects although I’m a bit limited because unfortunately I don’t have any kit. Thanks again!

Mia

What city are you in or near? Someone on here might be able to help with use of equipment.