NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WBPP multi night

Anthonyexmouth

5 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

How does that work? 

You can put a keyword in the file name and it will group only those together, I am not expert, but I have seen this question on the PI forum and the answer was to use keywords, so maybe best to search in there as I don’t want to give incorrect advice…

I think if you add the same session date to each set of flats, and then enter “DATE” in keyword it should separate them as you want…

1 minute ago, Stuart1971 said:

You can put a keyword in the file name and it will group only those together, I am not expert, but I have seen this question on the PI forum and the answer was to use keywords, so maybe best to search in there as I don’t want to give incorrect advice…

I think if you add the same session date to each set of flats, and then enter “DATE” in keyword it should separate them as you want…

I do include date info in my capture with NINA. Does this then require flats for every session to work? 

I'll have a look on the PI forum. 

I was just about to reply but looks like @Stuart1971 has it in hand.
You can specify keywords in WBPP to group things together. The keyword can be something from the fits header or from the full pathname of the file but remember wbpp will look at the pathname first before the fits header so if you make a keyname the same as one already in the fits header  then it will use the pathname keyword.

The easiest way when using data from different nights is to put the data from each session into a different directory  for each night and in each of these directories for each night add the lights and flats  (i.e. everything you need to group together for that night).
All the stuff you want to use for all nights such as bias, darks  must NOT be in these folders but somewhere else.

The important thing is that the name of these directories for each nigh must have a keyword and a value/

For example for 3 different sessions you could make directories called HorseheadNebula_Night1, HorseheadNebula_Night2 and HorseheadNebula_Night3.
The keyword then is HorseheadNebula and the values Night1, Night2 and Night3.

The keywords and value names are arbitrary and totally up to you.

Then in WBPP add the keyword HorseheadNebula and it will separate all the data and group it to use the flats from each directory only for the lights in that same directory but will use darks, flat darks etc for all data.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I was just about to reply but looks like @Stuart1971 has it in hand.
You can specify keywords in WBPP to group things together. The keyword can be something from the fits header or from the full pathname of the file but remember wbpp will look at the pathname first before the fits header so if you make a keyname the same as one already in the fits header  then it will use the pathname keyword.

The easiest way when using data from different nights is to put the data from each session into a different directory  for each night and in each of these directories for each night add the lights and flats  (i.e. everything you need to group together for that night).
All the stuff you want to use for all nights such as bias, darks  must NOT be in these folders but somewhere else.

The important thing is that the name of these directories for each nigh must have a keyword and a value/

For example for 3 different sessions you could make directories called HorseheadNebula_Night1, HorseheadNebula_Night2 and HorseheadNebula_Night3.
The keyword then is HorseheadNebula and the values Night1, Night2 and Night3.

The keywords and value names are arbitrary and totally up to you.

Then in WBPP add the keyword HorseheadNebula and it will separate all the data and group it to use the flats from each directory only for the lights in that same directory but will use darks, flat darks etc for all data.

Steve

I think I get that. My darks and dark flats are in their own seperate calibration frames folder, but generally WBPP remembers those and Idont have to touch them, I'm just trying to be more organised since I made myself an EL flat panel

It might sound difficult but honestly it is easier to do than to explain.

But I just made a quick example:-
I have data on NGC 7835 for 3 different nights so I put all lights and flats into 3 different sub directories each has a keyword Date and then after an underscore a value which is the date I started each session.
In this case I already have  master darks  but they could just a easily be a set of frames and let the script do the masters.

image.thumb.png.6069ba46ca2009e21e03820c78c02361.png

If I add files without using the keyword then in WBPP they are all grouped together with no separation of nights for lights or flats.
image.thumb.png.d11f6b084003b384de0a3f43a7c1efbd.png

But if I add the keyword Date it then regroups everything correctly.
image.thumb.png.f6407e59c63e39221325025367147e1c.png

And if you look in the flats and lights tab you can see it has grouped everything correctly.
image.png.02ac544cdd2f49efdcbe186bf2719d0f.png

image.png.84aa5e6b81f94e620a7c4ab2457d93c5.png

I hope that explains it, try it I am sure you will see how it works very quickly 🙂 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 2