SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

RASA8 camera adapter

In earlier posts I expressed an opinion on the soft backing material Celestron use on their camera adapter plates, stating I was not a fan due to any flexing or uncertainty it introduces into the imaging train.

Well, it looks like it is there for a reason. My bespoke all aluminium adapter plate has picked up on the secondary lens collar causing it to come loose. This has necessitated removing the primary cell from the tube so I could get my hand up inside to hold it to enable a retighten. Then came the task of collimating the scope, an Ocal camera was used to align the optics followed by a star test using a ASI120 mini so the adjustment screws were accessible. I’ve still got some work to do on this but I think I am going to take the opportunity to make an adapter plate that will hold a 2” filter and my RisingCam 571c. I’ve never been fully satisfied with the 3 screw wedge arrangement that’s used with the QHY268c so I’ll give an all screwed assembly a try.

• Like 1

Yes, I don't like those plates with the retaining ring. I would have bought the full Octopi image train for my RASA 11 had been available, but I bought the earlier shorter one to go with the Baader UFC.  After that I ended up replacing the plate and retaining ring with a Precise Parts adapter, which is much better. All costs hundreds of course, so if you can do it yourself, brilliant!

Here is the new adapter, designed to attach the RC571c to the RASA8 and accommodate a 2” filter.

It started life as a M72/M48 reducer that came with my Esprit 150. The large thread was machined off and sufficient internal thread left to hold the filter. On the other side a slight recess was machined to centre the RASA collar (a good call by @Tomatobro), the M48/M42 reducer had to be machined within a millimetre of its life to obtain the required back focus, so much so that the reducer comes off the thread when fully screwed on, hence the 3 grub screws to hold it securely in place. The NBZ filter holder is quite deep so it will be awfully close to the RASA secondary lens when in place, I will have to watch that.

A65448D4-CA4D-4196-BAFC-C490141DBFD5.thumb.jpeg.0e373d04a2d3a88e9e1575f5f0df9c5e.jpeg

F6ACB478-7FA6-4CB6-8DBC-9C66598DDE5D.thumb.jpeg.7a2d417b2fbafd2f2e8bd9c168570088.jpeg

• Like 1