Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old Vixen motor voltage question.

lguise

Just wondering if anyone can give guidance.

The motors on a Vixen Super Polaris I think we’re MT1 and came with a 9V battery pack and DMD3 controller in my case (see photo)

Later mounts such as the GP used the MT2 motor but I think the internal parts, the motor etc were the same. These came with a 12V battery holder and SD controller.

What I want to know is whether the MT1 and DMD 3 can run off 12V or is this too much for the DMD3?

12V power packs are so much easier to use than fiddling around with 9V batteries.

Any info gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Linton

63BCACB4-C022-4FD5-9BE1-217D95375F9A.jpeg

I've used the Vixen motors powered from a 12v battery (14v fully charged) with no problem.  The potential problem is that the handset is safe only to 1 amp so further protection is advised.  Also, the system is negative input so care is required to ensure correct polarity when setting up.    🙂 

Yep - negative tip. That's why so many blown DMD3 controllers. I put in a 9v voltage converter into the body of a SW battery pack with hard-wired cable with correct polarity.

image.png.6777032ce7482e278c6eacd79bd8e290.png

I've found that the MT1 motors are noisy when using 13v+ (i.e. lead-acid battery pack) via a more modern DD3 controller, but not so when using a proper 12v supply.

Care needs to be taken when using older Vixen controllers with a 12v supply, too much slewing around at the higher speed can lead to overheating. Better sticking with a 9v supply really just to be safe and of course, as stated above, they are center pin negative. The newer, though also discontinued DD3 controller can be used at 12v without risk and is center positive. 

Many thanks to both of you for the input, I like the idea of the 9V power pack, will look into it.
Am I correct that the MT1 and MT2 motors are the same on the inside? 

I still enjoy using my Vixen SP bought new in 1986 from Superscopes in Bedford.