Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Keter Store it out Ultra

Phillyo

Good evening everyone,

I've been looking at the Keter Store it Out Ultra for a mini shed / observatory. I only use an EQ6r Pro with a Samyang 135mm lens so not a huge set up (might get a slightly bigger scope but it'll only be like 400mm maybe) so I don't need a lot of space. I think everything will fit nicely, however my only concern is the hinges on the lid don't open it very wide. Does anyone know if / where you can buy replacement hinges that open to like 275 degrees or wider? Better yet and electronic / automated version?

Thank you,

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're planning on essentially using something like this as a cover for your pier, you might instead consider a roll-away solution. That's something that I've seen work for others, it will negate the need to have a hinged lid. Plus, you could go for something a bit taller like this (just an example!) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duramax-YardMate-Plastic-Garden-Floor/dp/B07MFVXNCF/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=plastic+garden+storage&qid=1662999577&s=outdoors&sr=1-22

The important thing is just making sure it's latched down properly when not moving!

• Like 1

My experience of sheds (wood and plastic) has been that you generally need to plan for modification.
I even had to modify a small store used as a parcel box to stop the lid being wrenched off by clumsy delivery people🙄.
For astro use, strengthening is a must.

I have not seen the Keter store mentioned 'in the flesh'. But have seen similar products.

To sort the hinge restriction. Probably some decent big shed T hinges on the outside. Screwed through to battens on the inside.
Careful use of a stanley knife to remove the existing hinge limits.

Then probably a marine ply floor anchored to the ground. Yes an EQ6 is heavy to hold the box down on normal days.
But in a gale? I have known sheds with heavy content move in a gale.

HTH, David.

• Like 1