Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ 3 mount

Naz

A few comments about the Skywatcher AZ 3 mount.

Fairly robust head, ok for a grab and go setup and with fairly low magnifications, upto about 120X.

Limited travel on the slow motion controls limit how long you can track for before having to reset the drive.

If you want swing around in azimuth, you have to unlock the head, and before the slow motion control can be used, you have to lock it.

Probably the worst feature of the head, is the friction nut for the altitude. You require a spanner with you to keep tightening it, ( it is a friction nut ) it comes loose when you raise and lower the scope, to the point, that when you want observe anything over about 50 degrees alt. gravity starts to pull the scope up.

The aluminium tripod isn't a problem at the level I have been useing the scope.

Conclusions, are could be annoying if you let it get to you, but for casual observing, quick star hopping, and not requiring polar alignment, I found it functional.

naz :lol:

Good report Naz,

Is there anyway you can tighten that friction nut or increase the resistance by using washers or a "Nylock" Nut??

I'm not familiar with this mount so please feel free to shoot me down in flames!!

Good report Naz,

Is there anyway you can tighten that friction nut or increase the resistance by using washers or a "Nylock" Nut??

I'm not familiar with this mount so please feel free to shoot me down in flames!!

No I won't shoot you down in flames mate, I am the one to say sorry, it is a Nylock nut on there already, just had a senior moment :lol:

I will take it apart and try different ideas, the counter weight might be the way to go, thanks Orion.

I just haven't thought too much about the solutions yet, and your inputs are welcome.

naz :)

I had been getting ready to bid on one on ebay, just to give me an alt-az mount for my Tasco, as it is easier to get to stuff in the circumpolar regions with an alt-az than with an equatorial. I was discussing some odd topics with a dealer, though, who suggested that I might find the AZ3 doesn't hold much more than an 80mm scope well, and can be quite shaky. I have also heard that the lack of a counterweight is an issue with these mounts. So, I didn't bid on the ebay AZ3.

I have solved the problem for now, by keeping a spanner to hand, and if it starts to slip just give the nut a nudge. Not a solution, but the weight of the focuser and ep swing the balance over.

Looking into getting a eq mount later on, could be relocating to a warmer climite later this year, so will be looking to set up a permenant observatory, will keep the AZ 3 for a grab and go for the 80mm

naz :lol:

Archived