Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This telescope any good

1 minute ago, Mandy D said:

It's an excellent telescope. Do you know what you are going to use it for?

Not actually sure what can be seen with it altogether. But hopefully planets/moon stars and anything else is a bonus

1 minute ago, White9870 said:

Not actually sure what can be seen with it altogether. But hopefully planets/moon stars and anything else is a bonus

It will be good for Moon and planets. Should give nice crisp views of lunar surface. Planets will be sharp, but small. For those you will want a short focal length eyepiece and barlow. Consider buying some decent eyepieces, as the ones included are not the greatest. Stars will just be points of light in any telescope.

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL!

Not a bad aperture, magnification well over x200 (usually plenty).  Refractors are good, easy telescopes to use.  

I think it has a 2" diagonal, so you might want some long focal length 2" eyepieces to maximise field of view.

Targets: Moon, planets, Orion Nebula, some open clusters and globular clusters, also many double stars.  

Have fun!

Doug.

A solid scope. Think astrolavista has not long bought one and done a video on YouTube.
A 9mm eyepiece will provide a good planetary view. A Barlow to extend this in times of good seeing is a good bet. 
alternatively a good zoom such as baader mk4 will offer convenience of a relatively wide field view to planetary viewing in a single eyepiece. It has limits in terms of field of view and presents a darker image than individual eyepieces. Swings and round a bouts. 
I bought a 100ed in November so similar to what you have just purchased, my most used eyepieces are a 28mm Kellner a 9mm, a 2x BST Barlow and a baader zoom and that covers everything for my early learning. 

fingers crossed for your cloud free first night. 

19 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Welcome to SGL!

Not a bad aperture, magnification well over x200 (usually plenty).  Refractors are good, easy telescopes to use.  

I think it has a 2" diagonal, so you might want some long focal length 2" eyepieces to maximise field of view.

Targets: Moon, planets, Orion Nebula, some open clusters and globular clusters, also many double stars.  

Have fun!

Doug.

When it's comes to eyepieces I have no idea what I'm looking at, or what will fit mine lol

6 minutes ago, White9870 said:

When it's comes to eyepieces I have no idea what I'm looking at, or what will fit mine lol

Plenty of advice on this forum. Choice of eyepieces is a regular topic.  But if you got the original kit eyepieces with the outfit, the 9 or 10mm one is unlikely to be much good.  If you are buying with a budget, Plossl eyepieces will be adequate with a scope of this type.

For pure visual use, I think I would prefer an AltAz mount. It’s more intuitive and keeps the eyepiece in the same position. The aluminium tripod is also a bit wobbly for 1000mm focal length. But other than that, 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1