Sky atlas for use with a newtonian

14 hours ago, Froeng said:

I use (from time to time) the Tri-Atlas. https://allans-stuff.com/triatlas/
These are free pdf downloads. I had them printed on A3 and bound.

comes in three different scales and covers the whole sky…

2B947E96-0380-4272-BE37-F15CCC2B8A3C.jpeg.b2553c0bc3701ef42101bdb785ff5b8c.jpegA6454080-5EAC-477B-97EE-D3B59AEBF826.jpeg.13012f5fe75ddddac72ec4aab3a6b57a.jpeg

I also use SkySafari on an old ipad. I have applied “Rubylith” to the ipad which makes a huge difference…

All three volumes of Tri-Atlas will fit on a CD-ROM.

Available for the iPhone & iPad here... Triatlas on the App Store (apple.com) - [FREE*]. Also available for the iPhone & iPad is... Star Charts by Wil Tirion on the App Store (apple.com) - [£3.49GBP*]

[* at time of posting].

As Merlin said earlier Nortons is a great first Atlas after a budding observer has past the rookie stage especially the Gall & Inglis versions of the early 1970's. Norton's were the bible back in the day. At least one addition wasn't so good where all the DSO's were all bracketed under the same symbol a kind of flower pattern of dots which was a bit naff!

Nortons are cheap and plentiful on Ebay and I have a couple of them and they are quint to look at and are full of useful tables and old fashioned observing tips.

My main Atlas now is the  SkyAtlas 2000.0 spiral bound laminated version which is great out in the field and is just about  indesructable and impervious to dew with no paper pages to blow about!

The laminated edition is white stars on a black background which is not that pleasent to the eye but great for under the night sky.I also have the spiral bound desktop version which is great for just browsing or planning observation sessions.

SA2000281022) (2).JPG

SA2281022.JPG

SACUOL281022.JPG