NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tonight with my 10x50's.

It was a little windy tonight for anything on a tripod. Sure cooled down some as well. So I thought I would give my 10x50's a run out.

First place was Auriga for M36-37-38.Had a look at the smiley face(thanks Carol) The seeing was good and I was able to resolve quite a few stars in each. Just something about this trio for me. Very nice in 10x50's with a 5° FOV. There are nice asterisms in Auriga.

Headed South then for M42. Not very good for me between houses and trees. Orion's belt looked beautiful tonight.

North for Cassiopeia next. A fine region for any binoculars. Struggled to resolve NGC457,easy to pick out the Owls's eyes though. I also struggled with M52. M103 looked nice and I manage to resolve a few stars. While in the neighbourhood I observed the double cluster in Perseus. I just can't resist this one.

Over to Ursa Major. I tried again for M51,with the seeing being better. Could not be sure at all. Perhaps I did with averted vision. I can't tick the box on that one. I have little lists for different optics I own,and tick off when spotted. I didn't even try for M101. I really struggle with this Messier with any of my optics.

M81-82 was pretty easy,although just smudges,still good to find them though.

Mizar/Alcor always on my list.

Well,two brass monkeys walked past looking for a welder and I decided to call it a night.

Next clear night I will try the same targets with my 8x42's.

All for now.

Glen.

Hi Glen - good report and nice work with 10x50s. I've tried to track down M81 and M82 in all sorts of optics but without success. You did well to get them in binos. I will have a go again next time I'm out. I think maybe LP does it for them down here. Maybe under dark skies....

Thanks.

Ed

Archived