Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Early days imaging M42

BlueAstra

I'm just starting in the imaging, so I'm trying to learn the techniques. I've had a go with a home made webcam and a Neximage on Saturn, but still not been able to see cloud bands. I think the problem is focus and not enough frames. Will post the results in planetary soon for some help. In the meantime I thought I'd try wide field long exposure with a Canon 350D.

This is my first attempt at M42. Again focus is a problem, and the exposure is only 30s. a stack of 5 images. There is an overall red glow across the image. Is this the result of not using an IR filter? I did use a LPF. I think I will look into using a mask as a focus aid. Its also very difficult to focus through the 350D viewfinder.

post-16060-133877362076_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting, and its nice to see somebody else climbing the astro-photography ladder :)

I know exactly what you mean about focussing the 350D through the viewfinder, its almost impossible. You will only get perfect focus by taking a series of short images and comparing them. If you can use a bahtinov mask, it will be much quicker and more accurate.

I'm not certain about the red colouring, is the camera modified? If not, you won't need an IR filter, there's one built in.

Cheers

TJ

The camera isn't modified, so I guess its not IR. Do you know where you can get a guide to designing a bahtinov mask for a specific telescope?

There are a couple of websites taht have progs on there and I have been known to knock a few up in the past :)

Think some of the websites have been listed in the thread inthje DIY section... if you cant find one psot again...

Billy...

It's a good start. If that was last night, I got very similar looking background colouring, although my LP filter helped somewhat. I think it was down to reflected light from the streetlamps on the thin layer of mist high up.

The viewfinder of the 350D is indeed quite dim for astro use........ have you tried using the video output jack linkup?

I think John (jgs001) is correct about the background colour I found the same effect on some single frame jobs from last night. It also looks to me that your image is over exposed even at 30 seconds. For comparison have a look at the attached 15 sec' frame taken with the 450D........ the idea was to try for an "eyepiece view" but the LP and colour registered by the chip is still too great........... reduced in Photoshop the result is not bad.

I think something similar could be done with your image.

Archived