NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you love seeing more than one galaxy in the FOV?

mdstuart

Well tonight I found a fantastic new one. Its in COM ..NGC 4274 is a spindle, relatively bright...above it is NGC 4278 a bright eliptical galaxy and to its right is NGC 4283..If you have a better scope I am sure there are more close by...:)

Also seen tonight NGC4414,4725,3184,4494,4559,4414,3115 (bright!) and 3521.

So I am now on 86 galaxies seen so far...It really is amazing how many things there are to see when you spend the time to look...

Tried Encadeus (moon of Saturn) again but still no joy, only 5 moons again tonight.

Mark

It really is amazing how many things there are to see when you spend the time to look...

:) Well said, Mark!!

Sounds like you had an enjoyable tour. And yes, I've always loved seeing more than one galaxy in the field.. makes me feel like I'm getting a real bargain:p. My favorites are the trio of M81, M82, ngc3077 in UMa, and the quadruple of M84, M86, ngc4387 and ngc4388 in VIR.

Yes, galaxy groups are my thing - I love 'em. Siamese Twins, The Eyes, Leo Trio, M81/82 etc etc. I've just got myself a 12" so I can see more of them - I'm starting with the Abell clusters of the Great Wall and plan on doing Hicksons and Arps. There's something so thrilling about having those little fuzzy patches in view and thinking of the immensity of them, the number of civilisations that must have come and gone in them. And of course there's the fun of ticking them off a list.

Andrew

Archived