Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CEM60 Solar System Align

iandh

Hi,

Has anybody used the solar system align function on a CEM60?

Yesterday I was trying to align my CEM60 mount well enough to do some solar and lunar observing in the afternoon. I tried observing without anything more  than doing a single star align and accepting the coordinates that the scope slewed to. However, this was not good enough and the targets very quickly drifted out of FOV.

Then I thought that I would try Solar System align and use the Moon as the calibration object. However, I was only offered Mercury in the list of objects to align to.

From this, do I assume  that one only gets offered something that should be visible at the time, AND that one CAN'T align to the Moon?

Regards

Ian

Hi Michael,

Not if all you want is a quick glimpse but if you want to zoom in on a Sunspot and show a few people while telling the what they are looking at, it's best if the  Sun doesn't keep sliding out of view, which  therefore requires a reasonably accurate alignment I'm afraid.

Same goes for particular crater features on the Moon!

Regards

Ian

"It's best if the  Sun doesn't keep sliding out of view, which  therefore requires a reasonably accurate alignment I'm afraid."

Star Alignment only allows GoTo's to be accurate.

After manually slewing to the Sun it will only move out of view if:

Polar Alignment is poor.

Not on Solar Tracking Rate.

RA has a large Periodic Error.

Michael