NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor Fine Focus

I find my refractor a little coarse when trying to find the best focus point for visual use.

I have been looking at

1. Skywatcher auto focuser.

2. Skywatcher dual speed Crayford.

With the auto focuser, can you manually focus still ?.

If I choose the Crayford, I wont have a finder scope mounting base.

What do you feel is better

Paul

I have the auto focuser on my Dob and had one on a 6" f8 Newt as well. It works very well, and you experience no 'coarseness' to the touch, as you don't actually feel it moving. It is also vibration-free, which is great at high powers. But no, you cannot manually focus, but you can vary the speed to allow for quicker larger movements, by means of the speed knob on the control box.

Hope this helps.

My Tal focuser was like that. I stripped it down and removed all the old grease and filled with new grease. Made it 100% better.

For some reason they use a rubbish grease that goes really hard.

Other than a "cut and polish" - which you should try first.... the SW electronic focuser at 45GBP is a good investment. I use one on my ED80 and it makes things much easier ( BTW if the power is unplugged from the focuser motor, you can still use the manual knob)

I also replaced the carp focuser on the ST80 with the 2" TS Crayford- a MAJOR improvement! You can also get the finder attachment shoe which fits onto the focuser ( just a 4mm screw).

Thanks for the replies

I have removed the Syntaglue which made a big difference.

I quite fancy a Crayford if I can still use my finder.

The Crayford will be backlash free, my current focuser has a tiny bit of free play.

Paul

Archived