Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

High noise with canon 450D

Hello everyone! This is my first topic here.

I have a HEQ5,SW 80ED and Canon 450D. 2 days ago i used it correctly for the first time,and when i tried to image M27 and M13 my pictures were full of noise.

My settings were ISO 400,Raw picture quality,60 and 90 second exposures. 

Can someone please tell me if i can somehow fix it?

D74E44F8-CA5E-40A2-B040-DFA26DAA150A.jpeg

045A1D78-B835-4DF1-84A9-725FA9195DB0.jpeg

Have you stacked them, the image you're looking at on the screen is a screen stretched image within Apt.. stacking them adds signal and reduces the noise .. you can add calibration frames to help reduce some of the noise but adding more signal benefits the most..

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Have you stacked them, the image you're looking at on the screen is a screen stretched image within Apt.. stacking them adds signal and reduces the noise .. you can add calibration frames to help reduce some of the noise but adding more signal benefits the most..

I haven’t stacked them,I will make some darks,bias and flat frames 

55 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Do you live in a light polluted area ?  I have a 400D and must admit my subs of 300s are a lot cleaner that that, even under twilight conditions

Not really i live in bortle 4/5

2 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Have you blanked off the eye-level finder, to stop extraneous light ?

The screenshot suggests you are imaging with LiveView ON - don't.

Michael

I don’t know if i did that,but thanks for advice guys

• 2 weeks later...

I have both 450D and 600D's. In my experience, the best tool you have while taking subs is the histogram. I set the ISO and expo-time such as the histogram peak is on the left side, thats 1/4 to 1/3 from left. I never let it go beyond 1/3, if the sky lightens over time I abort and reduce exposure. If it is a really dark night I start the session with the histogram peak 1/3 from the left. It's not only about gathering light, it also counts what light gets registred.

I'm blessed with cold weather and bortle 3/4 skies, and usually use ISO 400 and 800. If I can set the ISO to 800 and exposure to 240 sec, and still have the peak at 1/4 from the left, I'd say thats a good session! Usually I expose 1-2 minutes @ ISO 400 or 800.