NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double image with refractor

I have an older 114x900 feractor, I replaced both mirrors and bought all new lenses. I have a laser collimating tool . I’ve watched a lot of video on propped collimating and I believe I have it on point. When looking at the moon I get this type of image that’s attached. When viewing Jupiter I can see it and it’s moons but just below is another image of it as well. What am I missing. My secondary lens holder is borderline trash and my focus tube  is only fair so if you tell me I will try to find some replacements for those as well, so please leave recommendations. Pic was just my I phone held against the lens…B1E6D1E6-60BC-4779-BA6A-32162260F8C4.thumb.jpeg.d46f331ff9661cfa0cc295dbcc310abd.jpeg

Are you confused over the definition of refractor V reflector?

There are [usually] no mirrors in a refractor. Which has a large lens at the front.

A reflector has a larger mirror at the bottom of the tube.
Plus a smaller, second mirror at the top. To divert the light into the eyepiece.

The double image is probably resulting from an internal reflection somewhere inside the scope or eyepiece, have a look inside both for any shiny reflective surfaces.

If you do find any you could try 'flocking' it (using a black velvety self adhesive fabric which absorbs light) or even just painting it with blackboard paint or something similar.

If you could post up some pictures of the insides of your scope and eyepieces it could help us to diagnose the issue.

• Like 1

First of all welcome to SGL😁

Presumably you have a reflector scope and your “feractor” is miss spelt.

As a first step it’s best to make sure it’s properly collimated and I realise you’re saying you think that’s ok. Sometimes laser collimators are themselves not correctly collimated leading to errors.  Maybe a more basic method would help. Do an online search for-   “Gary Seronic telescope collimation” and carefully follow the instructions. It’s the best collimation guide I’m aware of.  When you’ve done that try another session using the scope for nighttime observing.

Make sure you don’t try too high magnifications.  For a 114mm reflector 150x is realistic.  Better to have a smaller but sharper view than larger but fuzzier.  Best if you don’t observe objects that are very low close to the horizon, wait until they’re higher up.

If you still don’t get good views then I’m not sure what your next step would be. If you’ve already replaced parts you have a decision-  further expense and spend more money than a brand new scope, or invest more with unknown results.

All the best with your project. Whatever you do persistence will be worth it eventually, a lifetime of great views awaits👍

Cheers from Ed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Uncleslimjim said:

I have an older 114x900 feractor, I replaced both mirrors and bought all new lenses.

Hi and welcome to SGL. Pls post an image of your scope so we can help you better. The only time I have seen such double images is if I am viewing from inside the house through our glass windows. As others have said look out for any reflective surfaces in the optical train. This could be lenses or reflective surfaces.