Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

powered USB 3 hub. where do you put yours

My imaging set up till a month ago consisted of ASI533MC camera - 1m USB 3 cable into the 'hub' on the Skywatcher EQ8R - pro mount then via a 6 metre passive USB 3 cable to my laptop. Never had an issue with connectivity or downloading 13Mb files from the camera during a session. 

Now, however, I have an ASI2600MC pro which sends 51Mb files (per sub!!) . I'm having a problem keeping this camera connected.  I've replaced the passive long cable with a 10m Lindy active cable which works fine if I connect it direct to the camera. Unfortunately if I plug that cable into the mount and then take the 1m cable to the camera it continuously connects and disconnects in APT (although it seems to stay connected in device manager). 

I'm now thinking I need a powered hub at one end of the long USB3.0 cable but which end ?  does it matter?  It would be easier powering it if it was at the laptop end but it's not an insurmountable problem to have it at the mount - I have several 12volt power splitter cables. 

Any thoughts?  Please don't suggest a  wifi hub  or ASIAIR etc.  :)

Graeme

27 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

My understanding of the EQ8 usb hub is that it has to be powered by 12 volts so do you have 12 volts plugged in at the input side?

yes. two 12volt power supplies going into the mount, one for the hub and one to power the mount itself. When I switch on the hub supply the asi2600mc  cooling fan comes on straightaway even when the usb isn't plugged in so I know there's power going through it. 

I used to use a 12v powered hub on my mount, chopping off the 240v plug and replacing it for a 12v. This was connected to an active cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RSHTECH-Powered-Extension-Charging-Individual-Red/dp/B07RS31T3Y/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1BHL2DWLICKVV&keywords=12v+usb+hub&qid=1658258974&sprefix=12v+use+hub%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-9

Most of the time it was OK but it did get temperamental with my ASI1600. Eventually I changed to a mini PC on the mount (Mele Quieter 2) which I should have done from the start. Works very well and no connection issues.

Sounds like you have the same issue that I had. As I moved towards a fully automatic system (using an EQ8-r) I found that over a long session the camera would disconnect and would not recover. To fix I installed a Startools 4 port 3.0 unit ( industrial grade powered )and connected the camera to that. that gave me (from the USB 3.0ss port on the computer) a connection to the Startools unit and then port one direct to the camera. The camera has not disconnected once with this setup.

Edited by Tomatobro
clarification

Managed 30 minutes imaging last night between getting dark and the clouds rolling in.  I had the 10m active usb3 cable direct from my laptop to the ASI2600MC.  It was recognised in device manager straightaway and didn't miss a beat through half an hour setting up / platesolving / testing exposure times plus half an hour actual imaging so I reckon the fault must lie in the internal wiring and hub of the EQ8R-pro.  A bit of a shame as the cable management through the mount is one of the main selling points. 

Graeme